Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick My Guinea Pig is acting strange and I don't know what to do.

JordanReaFTW

Cavy Slave
My Guinea Pig Oli is about 1 and a half years old, he's usually very healthy and loves lettuce. A few days ago I gave him some lettuce but it looked a little old, but I figured it'd be okay. He ate a little, but wouldn't eat it anymore, now he hasn't been eating his food and he drinks, but not often. Today I took him out to play and he looked like he was tensing up. I cant really explain it. His body would rise up and he would make a noise.. sorta like he was trying to cough something out. For the past few days he will just sit in one corner of his cage. Everything seems fine other than this. His fur looks healthy, no crusty eyes or anything. What is wrond and what should I do?

I can't say I know what's wrong, but it really sounds like he needs a visit to the vet:\

Thanks for your input. I am trying to find a vet, but I'm only 15 and have no money. I just hate thinking that he may be suffering. :'(

It does sound like he's suffering. It sounds like he could have a urinary tract infection or stones, or even a digestion problem. He really needs to see a vet ASAP.

You will need to start hand feeding him, too.

Your parents could possibly pay couldn't they?

I've been trying to hand feed him, but it's not working. And the only vets around where I live don't know about guinea pigs. He doesn't seem to be losing weight, and looks happy ish...

He looks at the food and smells of it like he wants it, today he's been nibbling and drinking a little water.

Oh my god, thank you so much for that info, my sister has syringes she uses to give my infant nephew his meds. It sucks up liquid. Is that what you're talking about?

I fed him through the syrenge, he really liked it and wanted more, but he still won't eat his pellets that are in the bowl. Is that normal?

If he seems interested in food but isn't eating he may have a dental issue.
I really would take him to a vet. Maybe your parents/family members/friends would be able to help you out?

They're going to, but the only vets around aren't for exotic animals, and I read somewhere that vets consider guinea pigs exotic? I've been looking around though.

You can call vets and ask them if they are experienced with guinea pigs.

You can call vets and ask them if they are experienced with guinea pigs.

While you're calling to see if they're experienced with guinea pigs - if they say no, you can ask if they have a recommendation for a different vet who does treat guinea pigs...

Where do you live? Maybe someone can help you find a cavy savy vet? Or call a local guinea pig rescue and ask if they have a vet they use close by?

He passed away this morning. Thank you all for the help.

I'm sorry for your loss. But don't own any animals unless you can provide them with the vet care they deserve when needed. Always have a vet fund & emergency plan in place, or surrender the animal to someone who can provide the care they need. This death may have been prevented with proper care, as harsh as it is, keep it in mind with future thoughts of animal ownership. They deserve immediate care just like us.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.