Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance My Girls Have Been Fighting......

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Haha. They are soo cute.....

However, I was just wondering a few things. My Piggies have been exhibiting minor signs of what I believe are trying to find out who is dominate.

A few questions/concerns:

It started when I was cleaning their Play Pen. The were up in their cage (I have the Play Pen and cage connected via ramp) I had all furnishings out of the cage for cleaning. I put in their large Travel Carrier as a hidey for them. This is when the trouble began:

Both pigs would chatter at each other and lunge, as if trying to make the other one leave the carrier. Could it just be because they loved the carrier/it was very comfy and they wanted it all to themselves?

When they were fighting, they motorboated a few times, but mainly it was screaming and irritated wheeking.

Also, I noticed that it seemed like 1 pig was licking the other? My American Lil' Babe was sniffing Big' Sis' hair, and she was licking it/biting it as well. I know both are females, I have successfully sexed them, but I was a bit worried that they might have been getting intimate? I know this sounds weird haha. It looked like, a few times, that Lil' Babe was going to try and mount Lil' Sis. Now, I know that this is for dominance in females, but I don't really know what that looks like. When the pigs are mating, they would actually be humping and you would just be able to tell they are mating, correct? If they are mounting and nothing sexual is happening, they would just repeatedly mount them, right? No humping?

When Lil' Sis, my Abby, was getting licked, she was DEFINITELY annoyed. I thought she would be the dominate one, but it is about Lil' Babe 75% and Lil' Sis 25% right now I believe.

So, can anyone answer these questions? What should I be looking for/watching out for for dominance issues? What are your experiences with dominance?

Thanks!

The only two things you need to worry about is if one of them is biting the other, or if one is harassed to the point that she can't eat and is losing weight. All else is normal, and you can just observe.

The only two things you need to worry about is if one of them is biting the other, or if one is harassed to the point that she can't eat and is losing weight. All else is normal, and you can just observe.

Thank you so much! The problems have since subsided, but will most likely return. Thanks bpatters!

Zuidy, If I remember correctly, I believe our piggies are just about the same age as yours (3 months and 1 week) and they just started this exact same behaviors last week. I was relieved to read others experience that they are right on target for their ages.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.