Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing My girl is getting eaten by her sisters!!!!!!!!!!

ally112087

Cavy Slave
I was hoping that if I put that title people might be able to read and help me. I looked at my sasha this morning and noticed that her hair has been cut. I am not sure how or why I am thinking that maybe her sisters are eating her hair. I dont know why or how. Anyone know a reason
pictures 1.....cut hair
picture 2.....1 week ago

Thanks for your help

[GuineaPigCages.com] My girl is getting eaten by her sisters!!!!!!!!!![GuineaPigCages.com] My girl is getting eaten by her sisters!!!!!!!!!!

I believe its called "barbering" which is exactly like you said, other pigs eat another's hair. I don't know how to fix it sorry :(

My dominate male would eat my long haired male's hair. It never seemed to bother the long haired one.

https://www.guinealynx.info/hairloss.html#barbering
Sorry, there isn't really a reason why it happens and there isn't much you can do.

I was cuddling my newest piggie today and I heard a chomp. I looked down and he was munching on some of my hair that he chomped off :eye-poppi

Yeah, looks like barbaring. It's harmless. Nothing to worry about.

I don't have any long hairs, only 2 sisters, short haired, and their brother, alone, is also short hair. I have never seen this happen, I don't think short hairs do that to each other, but I really wouldn't worry about it, unless you don't want you'r piggies eating each others hair, or worried about her looks. She'll be fine, I think, at least, but I'm no expert.

Hope you get the info you need,
Luna, and GOOD LUCK TO YOU!:) (;

Really? Wow, I din't know that! Thanks, now I know what it is if I see it on them!:)
Thanks, Luna

Cavymama, is that a recent picture of one of your pigs? That V-shaped hair loss on the rear end is a classic symptom of mites.

It's hard to see in the pic, but it's more of a triangle shape. Charlie (the pig in question) also has a lump on his back that I believe has grown since the vet examined it last. She had aspirated it at that point and determined that it wasn't a tumor - not a harmful one anyway. And we would talk about having it removed if it grew.

So he is slated to see the vet about the lump and I had been planning to ask about the strange hair pattern at the same time. If it turns out to be mites, I can treat at home. And it's likely I'll just treat the whole brood.

Sometimes barbering can be the result of a nervous guinea pig. Make sure your cage is sufficient size so they aren't crowded. Barbering isn't usually a problem unless they start chewing the fur so close to the skin that the skin gets raw. I wouldn't use Bitter Apple as a deterrent. It stings the skin.

CavyMama, it is mites. I am 100% sure. Every pig I have ever seen with that pattern of hair loss has mites. And many times vets cannot find mites when they do their skin scrapings (which is painful, by the way), but the pig has mites anyway. It's best just to go ahead and treat them. Since you are going to the vet, I'd have them treated with Revolution.

So I have been trying to watch Sasha and see if the others are going after her more. Is it something that I should possibly separate my piggies or is it going to be ok with them all still together

CavyMama, it is mites. I am 100% sure. Every pig I have ever seen with that pattern of hair loss has mites. And many times vets cannot find mites when they do their skin scrapings (which is painful, by the way), but the pig has mites anyway. It's best just to go ahead and treat them. Since you are going to the vet, I'd have them treated with Revolution.

I tend to shy away from them doing skin scrapings to check for mites. It's not the most accurate test (sometimes the mites don't show up in the sample) and as you said, it's painful to the pig. Do you think they would just go ahead and treat without any painful testing? I don't have any Revolution or Ivermectin on hand. I'll have to treat the rest of my herd anyway so I'm gonna have to pick some up at some point.

I have two girls together, one is long haired and the other short. Moo, the short haired girl, decided she'd be nice and help her buddy out and take off most of the hair on her rear end last week. So I had this beautiful long haired pig with a butchered rear end.

I've heard a few theories on why they do it. First is that it's a dominance thing, another is that they're just playing or grooming the other pig. Either way unless the hair loss is because of fighting or blood is drawn it's nothing to worry about.

@CavyMama , when I suspected mites on my Penny, I just called the vet and asked for them to dose me out some Revolution and that I would be in later to pick it up lol
I don't think they would do any testing if you suspect your pig has mites, which it looks like it does.

Well, my plan is to dose my whole herd. My vet hasn't seen all my pigs and it would be difficult for them to dose for everyone without current weights. I know Ivermectin is dosed by weight and I'm pretty sure Revolution is as well.

Well, my plan is to dose my whole herd. My vet hasn't seen all my pigs and it would be difficult for them to dose for everyone without current weights. I know Ivermectin is dosed by weight and I'm pretty sure Revolution is as well.

My vet hadn't met Penny when she was dosed for Revolution. I just told them her weight. I adopted a new pig a week ago, and the other day I found lice on him, so I took him in to get put on Revolution. Now Penny is on it again, just to be on the safe side so she doesn't get lice. My new pig is in quarantine, but I'm still worried that somehow Penny will get lice, too.
My vet has still never met Penny lol

You can get Revolution online, from Pet Shed.

You can get the tubes of Revolution from your vet, and figure out the doses yourself by looking at Guinea Lynx.

Same with ivermectin. You can get it online at lots of places.

You don't need a vet visit to treat for mites. But it's a good idea to do it right away, before they drives the pigs crazy with itching.

Well, he's seeing the vet anyway because of the lump. That's the thing, he hasn't been itching. He's been biting at the area but I haven't seen any ambitious itching.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.