Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece My fleece is not wicking >.<

Misty1214

Cavy Slave
Please help...

Ok so I just got my cage and beddings etc and I am trying to get things ready for my 2 pigs I am getting.

I decided to go with fleece bedding and this is the first time I've tried using it, problem is ive been testing it with the water bottle and it simply does not wick the water away... it just stands in drops on top of the fleece..

I have washed and dried the fleece 4 times now, have not used any softner or drier sheets. the fleece came from joanns fabric store and was labeled as 100% polyester no pill, the other design as 100% polyester blizzard fleece.

I have tried a single layer and double layers, I have 2 layers of absorbant towels under the fleece.... what am I doing wrong?

From my own experience some fleece "wicks" faster than others. Some I wash 3 times and dry 3 times and it is good to go. Others I have bought it took up to 5 times of washing and drying before it was "wicked". I also have used Jo Ann Fabric fleece so if I were you I would just wash and dry a few more times. It sounds like your doing it right...no fabric softner and no dryer sheets. I don't know what kind of detergent you are using but I use Tide free and gentle (only because it is free of dyes and perfumes). I know the regular instructions say to use a mild detergent. Hope this helps:) . Good luck. Don't give up, I love the fleece.

Thank you so much for the response :) I am already using a mild detergent from sears because my husband is allergic to quite a few of them and this is one of the only ones he can use so I assumed it would be gentle enough.

Thanks I have already thrown the fleece back in the washer hopefully a few more times will do the trick... I was starting to panic though since its almost time for my new babies to get here :)

You might want to add vinegar to the washer it helps. Good Luck!

Oh thank you, I will try that as well :)

Try to wash it a few more times but some fleece does not work. I had some really cute anti-pill fleece (from Joannes) and it simply did not wick at all. I bought a different print of anti-pill fleece also from Joannes and it wicks just find. I'm not sure what makes it work or not after that experience.

Thank you so much for the response :) I am already using a mild detergent from sears because my husband is allergic to quite a few of them and this is one of the only ones he can use so I assumed it would be gentle enough.

Thanks I have already thrown the fleece back in the washer hopefully a few more times will do the trick... I was starting to panic though since its almost time for my new babies to get here :)

Don't panic, stay calm. I am sure it will work. I know how you feel though because the first time I tried to "wick" I felt the same way. Mine didn't work after 3 washes and I thought I was doing something wrong. Then I was like well I will just wash it again and see if that works, and it didn't so then I told myself 1 more time I would do it. THANK GOD on the 5th time it did finally "wick" because I was gonna give up after that.
Congrats on the new babies. You will have to post some pics. when they arrive:).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.