Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Quarantine My First young piggy

GraspingAtVines

Cavy Slave
So basically I took in this male piggy who is about 8/9 weeks. I have another male who I was hoping he might bond with as my other piggy lost his sibling a while ago. (Don't worry not planning on introducing them right now) But this is my first time taking in one as young as he is. I have him quarantined in another cage as of right now (4 days so far) and he seems to be going potty fine and drinking okay as his water bottle (with vitamin c drops) has been going down, and I haven't noticed anything wrong with him. But he does randomly start wheeking and I'm just wondering if this is normal due to how terrified he is??? I've been giving him his space as much as possible and have been letting him get used to my voice...but idk. What else can I do to make him more at ease? It breaks my heart to see him so upset and I just want to make him as comfortable as possible. Any advice is welcomed.

Randomly wheeking is normal. He wants a treat, and hes trying to get your attention.

Just as an aside, do NOT put vitamin C drops in the water. He should get plenty of vitamin C from his daily diet, especially if you give him a slice of bell pepper every day. My boys get a 1/8 slice of a bell pepper daily, and when I wake in the morning they're usually standing at the side of the cage staring at me waiting for it.

Putting vitamin C drops in the water does little for them. It breaks down quickly in sunlight (which is why they're always stored in an opaque bottle.) All it does it give them funny tasting water which they may or may not drink.

Randomly wheeking is normal. He wants a treat, and hes trying to get your attention.

Just as an aside, do NOT put vitamin C drops in the water. He should get plenty of vitamin C from his daily diet, especially if you give him a slice of bell pepper every day. My boys get a 1/8 slice of a bell pepper daily, and when I wake in the morning they're usually standing at the side of the cage staring at me waiting for it.

Putting vitamin C drops in the water does little for them. It breaks down quickly in sunlight (which is why they're always stored in an opaque bottle.) All it does it give them funny tasting water which they may or may not drink.
Okay good I was worried, and thank you so much for letting me know about the drops! I'll get rid of those rn and change his water

Okay good I was worried, and thank you so much for letting me know about the drops! I'll get rid of those rn and change his water
You don't have to get rid of them. You can actually just syringe him a few drops when extra vitamin c is needed, say during an illness. They're always good to have on hand just in case. It's simply putting them in their water isn't a great idea, regardless of what the directions say.

You don't have to get rid of them. You can actually just syringe him a few drops when extra vitamin c is needed, say during an illness. They're always good to have on hand just in case. It's simply putting them in their water isn't a great idea, regardless of what the directions say.
Ohh okay gotcha, sorry I misunderstood. I'll keep them on hand then! 😊

Since he’s so young you should also be sure he’s getting a source of calcium, like alfalfa hay, some parsley or spinach. Young pigs should have extra calcium until they’re about 6 months. If you have pellets for young pigs, that will cover his calcium needs.

I give my pigs the Oxbow vitamin C wafers as well as fresh veggies. That’s the easiest for me and they love the wafers.

stay patient, the wheeking will calm down eventually!