Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My First Piggy !!! But need Help..

miccee

Cavy Slave
Are most of the piggies terrified when first brought home? Because mine is really terrified, it's a he... we call him Joojoo, heh. Well, I think it's scared when I want to lift him up, he was like shrink himself to a small ball and his claws are powerfully grabbing the floor. Well, yes, I've seen articles saying that it's better to leave the pig for 1 - 2 days before interacting with them. But one thing I'm afraid is... will Joojoo be afraid of me forever? For your information, whenver I reach my hand to him near to his nose, he'll sniff for 2 seconds and stop. He is 4 month old, not quite sure of the breed but the fur is like you really want to comb him... heh. So, what actions can I take to make him less scared of me? I tried to feed him with food, hay using my hand but he just doesn't want, it's like staying there immobilized. I did provide him a shelter which is a box and he always stays in there but he'll come up sometimes to grab a bite. Please, I don't want my piggy to be scared of me... help me please?

miccee said:
So, what actions can I take to make him less scared of me? I tried to feed him with food, hay using my hand but he just doesn't want, it's like staying there immobilized. I did provide him a shelter which is a box and he always stays in there but he'll come up sometimes to grab a bite. Please, I don't want my piggy to be scared of me... help me please?
Try bribing him with some fruit or veggies.

Can they be bribed by using pellets?

maybe but I dout it. The fresh stuff is more intising!

It's best to leave them alone the first day. As of day two I start introducing myself. Like, start talking around them so they get used to your voice. For veggies, I first leave them in their cage to see what kind they like best. Once I know, I feed it to them by hand & then will feed it to them during laptime. Just take it in little steps. Some piggies are more shy than others, so it may take longer for them get used to you. Just be patient & Joojoo will learn to trust you.

Most guinea pigs instinctively try to hide when they see a human approaching. But just because they do it, doesn't mean they don't like you. The best technique that works for me is to slowly move my hand to them from the same height as them, not from above. Then I scratch behind their ear (or any other favourite spot.) That usually distracts them & I can pick them up.

I would just go in and pick him up even if he seems a bit scared.When you get him out he will be like "hey this isnt so bad" he will get used to you dont worry

Most pigs are scared when they first come home. Some pigs don't like being picked up but love to be held, brushed, and petted (Mu for instance).

Yeah, because when i got to take care of my school's 2 guinea pigs (my first time taking care of them!) the first day they were scared of me (i had them for a 4-day weekend :)), so i just sat next to them and talked to them, then a little bit later, i petteed them and fed them. By the next day, i could pick them up, and by the evening of the 2nd day, they didn't mind me. :) they were so cute! :), :) :) :)

If you were moved to a new environment without free will,and now knowing where you are, you'd be a bit terrified too, wouldn't you? I believe that most guinea pigs you encounter were at least a little timid the first week. They warm up to you, but I would leave him be for a whiloe to get used to his new surroundings.

Well, Joojoo was a bit scared, now he is quite not that shy. Yesterday, I picked him up and petted him and put him on a table so that he sees my head only and not my body ( he's scared when he sees my body ) Maybe because my cage is on the floor and not levelled up. Anyway, I could feed him with pellets, he'll slowly nibble. He took quite sometime to finish a pellet.. yes... A pellet. Is that normal for a 4 month old pig?

Then... I put a small towel on my belly and put him on top of it... and I started stroking himfrom head the back. He'll stretch his head forward and make some purring sound... it's like its body vibrates... I'm not sure whether he liked it or not... or maybe he was warning me not to touch him? But I myself felt that he liked it...

Oh yea, when I try to grab him that time, he'll tense up with his claws like tryign to grab the floor... but after I've laid down 2 hands and safely scoop him up, he won't struggle anymore... and when I try to put him down on some floor or something ( for example, my hands will be flatten on the floor hoping that he'll climb out of my hand and walk ) he won't climb down, he'll remain in my hands, after sniffing the outside environment he'll curl back to my hands... heh... cute little thing

Actually, his purring is a sound of pleasure. They make that noise when they're enjoying themselves. He sounds really cute. Have you noticed if he's eaten anything just from his bowl?

yes, he ate A LOT !!! Well, actually he hardly can eat them as his mouth is quite small and the pellet is like so much bigger... so usually I'll feed him with my own hand... dip the pellet with some water and feed him... heh... he loves it!!! I even tried pick-a-boo with him... I let him smell the pellet, then when he was nibbling it, I'll grab it with another hand...and then I'll show him both of my fists... then he'll smell my right hand 1st... then left... then right... then left.. hehe... then he'll make a decision... he'll walk towards the hand with food and start pushing its nose to open my hand... heh... quite cute... then I'll treat him with the pellet...

I have to feed him myself in order for him to finish the whole pellet.. because he has difficulty in nibbling off pieces by pieces... will this behaviour fade as it grows? I mean, will he be able to eat on his own later in his life?

you shouldnt hand feed him all the time... he will grow dependant on you that way and thats not good, you should let hime eat on his own, he can do it!

Well, he does do it when he's hungry... he'll walk with his noisy squeking sound to the food tray and start nibbling.. then he'll go to water tray and drink water... hehe.. then he'll sit for a while... and start going back to the food tray and choose his food.. hehhee... so cute... but he seldom finishes his pellets... I mean he'll eat maybe half of it only... unless I feed him... then only he'll finish the whole thing...

Is 4 month old an adult or still a baby... or maybe a small kid? Does anybody have the comparison chart with humans?

He is still a youngster. I think the adult age is about eight months.

After 1 year old they will stop growing. So assume is aldult age.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.