Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My First Ever Piggies!!!!!!!

veggiegirl

Cavy Slave
Oh guess what I got my first two piggies this week, poor guys are very thin and riddled with mites and lice but we'll soon fix that, I have made a vet appointment for this week. They are so sweet. I am pretty sure they were bred free range in someones backyard and left to run wild and have never been handled but I have been giving them lots of cuddles and already they are settling down and beginning to enjoy the attention.

Frodo is the Abyssian with the orange nose and he is a real character and very laid back, he rolled onto his back for a belly rub yesterday and has this thing about licking and nibbling my arm and fingers while I am scratching him, I swear he is trying to 'groom' me back. Sam the Himalayan type is much more timid but he will sit on my lap for ages but you have to be careful he doesn't get a fright. Yesterday he was also licking and nibbling , my fingers. They are so lovely I really adore them both. Already I am wanting to extend the Guinea Pig family but I really must just stick to the two at least for now. They are both boys and I am hoping they will not fight later in life as they are always making funny noises and swaying their behinds at eachother......

Actually I have a question......Sam is a creamy colour with pale brown points and a white stripe on his nose, I understand that Himalayen piggies are born white and their points darken over time. I was just wondering at what age their points are fully developed. I was told they are both about 4 months old but they are not really very big........ do you think he will darken at all?

Attachments

DSCF3657.jpg DSCF3673.jpg

CavyMama

Cavy Gazer
They are both boys and I am hoping they will not fight later in life as they are always making funny noises and swaying their behinds at eachother......

That's normal behavior. Just make sure the cage is large enough for two males.

Actually I have a question......Sam is a creamy colour with pale brown points and a white stripe on his nose, I understand that Himalayen piggies are born white and their points darken over time. I was just wondering at what age their points are fully developed. I was told they are both about 4 months old but they are not really very big........ do you think he will darken at all?

He isn't Himalayan. Himalayan pigs are solid white (not cream) and the points are black (not brown) in color. He looks to be just your average tan or possibly lilac (hard to tell in the pic) American shorthair.

Razzle

Cavy Slave
Welcome and what a couple of cute fellows you have. Love their colors. And how lucky for them that they found their way to your home. Thanks so much for caring for them.

veggiegirl

Cavy Slave
I just love them so much already! They seem to love snuggles now even though only a few days ago all they wanted to do was run run away! They have such personality! Sam is a cream colour with brown feet, ears and nose, so yes maybe not Himalayen but he does have dark points.......can you get Siamese piggies? I have had mice this colour and also at what age are Siamese/Himalayan piggies point colour fully developed would be interested if anyone knows....

Also Sam is being VERY bossy with Frodo tonight I am quite worried, I hope they do not fight through the night........ would desexing help them to get along? Not sure if any of the vets up here perform such an op on a piggy though.......

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
So pretty! BTW, love the name Frodo!

janinehunt

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Congratulations, and welcome to the wonderful world of cavy slavery! :D

They are very cute little piggies!

sugarandspice

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I just love them so much already! They seem to love snuggles now even though only a few days ago all they wanted to do was run run away! They have such personality! Sam is a cream colour with brown feet, ears and nose, so yes maybe not Himalayen but he does have dark points.......can you get Siamese piggies? I have had mice this colour and also at what age are Siamese/Himalayan piggies point colour fully developed would be interested if anyone knows....

Also Sam is being VERY bossy with Frodo tonight I am quite worried, I hope they do not fight through the night........ would desexing help them to get along? Not sure if any of the vets up here perform such an op on a piggy though.......

Welcome to the forum. :)

Just let them do their thing, and absolutely do not separate them unless there is bloodshed. Don't desex them. Neutering pigs doesn't change any behavior they have, and they the operation isn't worth it unless your putting a male with females.

I'm not to keen on pig breeding and fur color, but I don't know if Siamese applies to guinea pigs, just cats. I know there are guinea pigs of that coloring, somewhere. :)

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
Congrats on your new piggies. They are beautiful, and apparently you're doing a great job wi them since they've settled down so nicely.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Awww...they are adorable!

NYKOPiggy

Cavy Slave
Congratulations! Such adorable little ones of yours! And welcome :)

veggiegirl

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone, I just cannot believe what individual personalities they have! Oh and I weaken the other day, it was not an easy decision but I bought another piggie! I have always wanted a Himalayan piggie but we rarely EVER get them here then I went into a petshop to buy a food bowl for them the other day and walking past the piggies I could hardly believe my eyes but there was a male semi-long hair abyssian Himalayan pig!!!!!! I couldn't believe it and was sooooooo torn. On one hand he was what I had always wanted and was majorly cute looking like a fluffy teddy bear but I already had the two boys and he was quite large so was reluctant to buy him incase they fought....

I asked the girl if I could have a look at him so she grabbed him and shoved him into my hands, and it was love at first cuddle....... Admittedly I loved him but I do not think he loves me back........he doesn't mind a pat but pick him up and boy watch out for those teeth!!!!!!!! I do not think it is very common a piggie is a bad biter but he is very handy with his teeth. The minute I carefully lift him up he opens his mouth wide and throws his head from side to side trying to bite!! He got me the other day, not to bad but he did draw blood.......

I would leave him be and not insist on picking him up as I do not wish to upset him but I have recently found it very important for a guinea pig to be well handled especially foe vet visits. The day I bought him I took him to the vet just for a generalized health check and the vet checked him out (though it was not easy) and said he was all good. He has improved a little and will sit happily for a minute or two but then he squirms really bad and starts trying to bite. I am a little nervous of him but do love him to bits. His name is Tinsel because I bought him near Christmas and his long wispy hairs remind me a bit of Tinsel. His hair is so different to my other pigs it is like cotton wool.

Today has been a BIG day for all three pigs as I introduced them for the first time. A while ago Frodo bit Sam and remove a 10cm strip of hair and put a hole in his shoulder but it was small so I had to seperate. They all went into the new hutch today and there were some very stressful moments. Tinsel being larger seemed a bully and would not leave Sam alone, chasing and mounting him and back end smelling he was so persitent and would not leave poor Sam alone.... In the end Sam snapped and went crazy leaping at Tinsel, Yawning to show how big his teeth were and in the end grabbed and pulled out a huge chunk of Tinsels hair so now Tinsel is being pretty submissive. Frodo pretty much as soon as I put him in the cage ran into the house level and has been sitting in there ever since, is this normal? I would have thought he would have been sorting out dominance with the others not hiding...... He was already the boss of Sam BEFORE I seperated them..... I hope he is alright, is this normal behaviour?

Will post photos of Tinsel soon he is so beautiful, reminds me a bit of an angora rabbit at times, he is so cuddly I really hope that he will accept and hopefully learn to enjoy snuggle time.......