Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My first bedding

miccee

Cavy Slave
Well, since you guys said that it's never a good thing to trust the petshop... so I'm going to ask about the bedding. He said that corn cob is the best bedding for guinea pig... is that true? My bedding is a bit mixed... a scattered of best-sorb cellulose fiber and more on corn cob. He said that the best-sorb absorbs more water than corn cob so if mixed the result will be better to absorb the water of urine and poops. So am I doing the right thing? Oh yea, the website of the best-sorb is (broken link removed)

And also... how thick of the bedding should I put? I didn't put thick.. I just put like 1 layer... less than an inch... the petshop person said that there's not use to put thick bedding unless the pig is pregnant. Normal pigs will just kick away the bedding...

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
i know that corncob can be hard for little piggy feet, im not sure about best-sorb or what it is. I would put a thick layer like an 1 1/2 inch to 2 inches.

miccee

Cavy Slave
so if corncob is hard for piggy.. what bedding should I use?

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
Im not sure if you can get it but aspen is good, a fleece blanket, i wish i could help you about the best-sorb. what is it made out of?

miccee

Cavy Slave
you can check out the website (broken link removed) It's some cellulose fiber... it's edible, non-toxic, absorts more water.. but the real material I have no idea...

Aspen? Is it good for the respiratory system of the pig? Because aspen bedding looks a bit like pinewood bedding.. so I didn't dare to buy it... but I did recall the petstore person said that aspen bedding is for pigs who are sensitive to pinewood bedding... is it true?

Guinea pig guy
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

critterlover

Cavy Slave
Aspen? Is it good for the respiratory system of the pig?
Yes, aspen is fine. It's cedar and non-kiln-dried-pine that you have to watch out for.

Cover the cage floor with 1 to 2 inches of Care FRESH or Yesterday's News (paper products) , aspen shavings, or kiln-dried pine. Frequent changing (every 3 or 4 days or less) will prevent odors and promote good health.
Cedar and raw pine (not kiln-dried) shavings contain aromatic oils (phenols) which can contribute to respiratory problems. Sawdust (small particles may be inhaled) and cat litter (which a cavy may eat) are also poor choices for bedding.
I got the above from https://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html#housing

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
The best-sorb stuff sounds pretty good, i cant reccomend it from experiance but it sounds almost like carefresh, bbut personally i would look for aspen or carefresh or fleece if you can find it

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
Corn cob also gets moldy fast and they will probably eat it which isn't good for them.

miccee

Cavy Slave
I noticed that my pig chews on the best-sorb and spit it out... then chew it again... I'm not quite sure what he's doing. Perhaps sharpening his teeth? Anyway, Wow, I didn't know that corn cob is not good for piggy... I'll try to get aspen shaving... just for confirm, is it some flaky bedding, something like pinewood but there's a word "ASPEN SHAVING" written on the covering?

If I were to put aspen shaving, then how much should I put? should I just put enough to cover the floor of the cage? Or I have to more than that?

Sorry, but what is carefresh? Any websites or perhaps the plastic cover? Is it hard? Is it some kind of a wood? just wondering... because the best-sorb looks like some kind of wood, it's like half an inches long, almost cylinderical shaped.. and looks like a wood... does carefresh look like that?

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
On the best-sorb page it says that its not good if the animal actually eats it. Carefresh is like shredded up paper(the best description i can think of) . yes it should say aspen, its a wood shaving like pine but with no smelly stuff in it. I put in an inch or two. See this page https://guineapigcages.com/bedding.htm

kennethlhm

Cavy Slave
You can try the brand of pine bedding I told you. It is kiln-dried. And it is cheaper than those not kiln-dried softwood bedding in the petshops.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.