Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior my cavy gets too excited when I carry him back to his cage

sakee

Cavy Slave
Hi, I have looked up the proper way to carry my guinea pig and I believe I am doing it right: I have my one hand wrapped around over his middle and my other hand supporting his back legs. When carrying him back to his cage, he knows when we are close and tries to scramble out of my arms. I'm afraid he is going to jump. Anything I can do for this?

That's completely normal, mine do it too. My friends rodents and rabbits also. They are just excited to be back at home, think of how it feels to be home again after being away all day (in their case, not so long), you just can't wait!

But here is a trick, hold your guinea pig correctly and safely over the cage. Don't move him until he stops struggling. Once he does touch his feet to the bedding, again don't do anything until he stops squirming, when he does, release him. I find it quite hard to do this but don't have much of an issue with struggling anymore as they now enjoy floor time and often I'm carrying them in a carrier.

great, I'll give that a try

You can also turn the pig around and put them in the cage bottom first.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.