Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My cavies drive me crazy!

A

Adrenalin Flow

My cavies drive me crazy!

They have never really trust me or been calm when I hold them. I've had them for about 2 months now. Any ideas on how to improve our relationship? How smart are cavies? Do they realise that the same person feeds them everyday? What can I do to be less intimidating to them?

When I'm trying to cut their nails they never stop squirming. I do get frustrated and eventually have to pin them down so I dont cut them. Any ways I can do this gentler without having them going nuts? Thanks.

Re: My cavies drive me crazy!

Where did you get your pigs from? Have they been treated for mites? My pigs still run from me and I've had them for 3+ years, although mine do settle down once they are being help.

From what you describe you may want to treat them for mites. Mites are very painful to pigs and they react to touch negatively when they are infected. Check out www.guinealynx.com for mite treatment.

I don't know how smart cavies actually are. Mine know that I'm the person that brings them veggies. When I walk in the room they see me and wheek for veggies. In the respect they are smart and know who feeds them. After they've had precautionary treatment for mites hold them and try hand feeding them lettuce. You may want to wrap them in a towel or blanket to give them a sense of security.

When cutting nails offer veggies at the same time. A lot of people have had good luck using veggies as a distraction.

clipped

I was wondering about clipping the nails. My piggies front nails I clip while she climbs the side of her cage to get veggies I dangle. Her back feet, I have only succeeded in clipping twice. I've had her for about three months now and they are long. She won't let me touch her feet and only wants me to touch her head and rub behind her ears. I tried to hold her around the middle with one hand and rest her feet on my leg. This left the other hand to cut the nail. I was able to trim one nail before she squirmed and let out a high piched squeak. I let her go and now she's snubbing me. I know I didn't cut to far and I didn't hold to hard. How is the best way to do this? She's not distracted by veggies.

If veggies don't work try wrapping your pig securely in a towel. Your pig may not enjoy it but it help speed up the process making it less traumatizing.

....another idea for clipping nails...cheat!. I've got a few landscaping sized rocks in the cage, smooth enough to not hurt them, rough enough to help with nails...I dangle treats over the rocks to make my piggies climb up to get the goodies, it really helps wear down the nails and makes it so I don't have to clip so often...

nail clipping

For me, nail clipping is a two person process. One person holds the pig up against his/her chest (one hand on the tummy and one support the butt) so that those cute little feet are facing out. And the other person proceeds to clip. I learned them from the vet and it works great. The only downside is that I can't clip alone. Just a suggestion.

Re: nail clipping

Your pigs running from you when you try to reach in and grab them is perfectly normal. Most guinea pigs are frightened easily. They also may be sensitive to people touching them because of negative past experiences that they went through. That is, if you don't know where they came from... your pigs could also have mites. My pigs still run from me, but not after I have picked them up and am holding them. If they continue to jump around and act irritated after picking them up and holding them, then it just may be a case of mites, which you should bring immediatley to the vet to be checked :mad: If they do eventually calm down, they just may be very sensitive to people...who knows. Besides, you would'nt want a piggie who just lays there and does not run from you, that would most likely be a sign of sickness. Hope that helps :D

When I clip my Piggies nails, I usually get them out one at a time. They always run from me and get a wee bit worked up. I lay on the couch and let the piggie in hand walk on me and relax and let her calm down before I try to clip her nails. I have found that giving them five minutes of laying on my tummy, crawling around and "chillin' out" helps them to respond better to being held and having their nails clipped. Just a thought.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.