Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General My Cage-Suggestions welcome!

jm_1234

Cavy Slave
So this is my cage.

I have 7 guinea pigs. Girls(Minnie, Daisy, Gracie, LaLa) all live on the top. I will be adding another level for them that will be a 2X4. I just have to go buy the coroplast.

The middle level is the Boys(Goofy and Donald). The bottom 2X2 level will be their kitchen I just have to finish cutting the floor and adding a ramp for them to go down and fixing it up.

The very bottom 2X3 cage is Mickeys cage. We are calling it his "time out" cage lol. He has been picking fights and bullying the other boys terribly so to keep the peace he lives there for right now. We will try introducing him again in a month or so. Possibly longer. We will see. I know his cage is very dark but I don't really know what else to do. It will hopefully not be permanent.

Anyway, any suggestions, comments, ideas are all welcome. I love changing around the cage.

Because the bottom is so dark, can you get a light next to it? I have a clip-on lamp for my cage because it's behind the couch. Maybe you can set a lamp next to it?
Or maybe make windows in the cages like the bottom of a glass-bottom boat! :D

What a great set up! With the lighting issue, maybe a few battery powerd clickable night lights? I have seen some in Dollar tree..star shapes and round ones, some come with sticky or screw holes on the back and you could use zip ties to attach it to the side...an LED bulb wouldn't get hot and be a fire hazard, Plus you could attach it right under there on the outside back of his cage and easily click it on and off, but I mean, your cage is awesome...maybe letting Mickey out a tad more on his own would be ok too...I have heard that Cavies LOVE dark holes...so as long as he gets fresh air and light during play time, he probably actually loves it dark.

Thanks for the ideas. He gets a little bit of light but its not much. He does seem content down there though. Those are great ideas. I never thought about adding lights. I will have to see what I can find. During the day is not to bad but at night he cage is a dark hole. You can barely tell there is a guinea pig in there!

I would just pick up some rope lights in camping section at walmart .

Yes, I have used rope lights before. Hang them high and on the outside so he can't chew them. I had mine on a timer so it came on during the day and off at night.

It looks great! A lot of work went into it, didn't it! Good job.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.