Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C My cage is mostly assembled!

Very nice job!

That is a very nice cage. How many pigs are going to live in it?

Never mind I just looked unless you have plans for more I guess that palace is for Cookie and Oatmeal.

Good looking cage!...what is the white on the edge of the coroplast?

That's one awesome cage! I want it! :D

I love your coroplast color!

It looks to me like that white edging is the plastic spines you use to bind term papers together. They're used to keep them from chewing the edges of the coroplast.

nice job. the only thing i see is that its tall 28' off the ground, it may be hard to reach in the bottom much less the top level. I had mine that hight i had to lower mine by 6" inches so we could reach in. (Still having trouble but wont lower any more).

Only 2 pigs are going to live in it. I don't think I want to get a 3rd.

The stand was designed by me. I didn't want to waste potential storage space, spend more than $50, and it needed to be secure (i.e. bumping into it wouldn't knock the cage off.)

Yes, the white edging is made from spines for reports. It is used to prevent chewing, but I mostly did it for looks. I ordered it from the C&C store. You probably will not be able to find it in Office Depot or Staples - I looked today because I ran out and they said you can only order it online. Back in the day you used to be able to buy them separately from the covers, but the only ones I could find in store weren't the right kind, had covers included, and were expensive.

The ramp is from the C&C store too. They reinforce it with wires running through the "holes" in the coroplast, and then finish it with the binding. Probably not the most cost effective option, but I think it's one of the better looking ramps I've seen. They tell you to attach it with glue or tape to the loft, but mine is velcro'd.

The height was on purpose. I have tall dogs (greyhounds) and height deters them more than a lid would. I don't have any significant trouble reaching things.

Yes, the white edging is made from spines for reports. It is used to prevent chewing, but I mostly did it for looks. I ordered it from the C&C store. You probably will not be able to find it in Office Depot or Staples - I looked today because I ran out and they said you can only order it online. Back in the day you used to be able to buy them separately from the covers, but the only ones I could find in store weren't the right kind, had covers included, and were expensive.

The ramp is from the C&C store too. They reinforce it with wires running through the "holes" in the coroplast, and then finish it with the binding. Probably not the most cost effective option, but I think it's one of the better looking ramps I've seen. They tell you to attach it with glue or tape to the loft, but mine is velcro'd.

Awesome cage ! :cool:

Recently, while in the midst of re-designing my girls cage, I looked EVERYWHERE for those darn binder edging strips ! I looked at all the above mentioned places with no luck. For now, I have white duct tape covering some edges, ( not the best solution for me) but plan on ordering some binder edging from the guinea pig zone soon, where I got my original cage set up ( I had purchased the 6x2 kit with the 2x2 hayloft) from the guinea pig zone, last January. They are 50 cents for one 11 inch piece, and totally worth it to me, because my girls are chewers ! I velcroed my ramps, to their "tunnel forest bridge" too !

Your cage is a great looking setup, by the way! I'm assuming that the cage is a completely separate construction from the stand? How did you secure the cage to the stand.........more cable ties?

The cage is connected to the stand both by connectors and zip ties. There is a close up of how the cage is zip tied to the dowel here:

How the cage was zip tied to the dowel | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Also, one detail I forgot to mention is that under the loft, there is a panel that is a hinged door, since I can't reach under the loft otherwise:

Hinged door to reach under loft | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited:
Yeah, unfortunately, it seems like the only way to not get the white ones in bulk is from the C&C store. However, even for building one cage, ordering the bulk pack for $20 is better than there. I ordered 35 for $17.50, and didn't have any extra after finishing the edges. If I had ordered the bulk pack, I'd have plenty of extras.

The only other thing I wanted to put them on was the litter pan I made to go under the hay rack, but that's not very visible and they don't seem interested on chewing on it so far (why chew on that when they have hay right there?)

I did get some wonderful purple duck tape (originally to reinforce the hay rack - I actually sliced through rather than scoring one edge), so I could maybe use that to finish some of the edges.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.