Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My boys got into a fight

fairysari

Cavy Slave
Well, it's finally my turn - my boys have gotten into a fight. I went down a little while ago and found them both covered in scratches. Some bloody scratches. They are both skinnies, so the injuries look a lot worse than I think they would on a furred pig. They were cowering in opposite ends of the cage, I cleaned them up, and now are in the cage, separated by a divider.

Tanuki is the older pig, I don't exactly how old, but when I got him I was told he was an 'adult'. Costanza is probably somewhere under a year, I have had him since April. Tanuki is picking on Costanza now, and chases him, while Costanza freaks and takes off running away. They moved in together to a 2x4 in May, and had been perfectly fine together since then.

I just moved, and they recently moved into an L-shaped 2x6 connected to 2x2 (so 2x8 total). The 2x2 is filled with YN and has the hay and stuff, and the rest is fleece. They were spending a lot of time in the 2x2, and I think Tanuki may have decided to claim it as his own. I put Tanuki on the fleece end, and divided the cage, with Costanza in the 2x2 with some of the fleece area (they each are in a 2x4 area now).

I would really like my boys to get along and live together, but Tanuki seems to want to chase Costanza, he was chattering at him. Costanza just seems terrified, even since I separated them, and Tanuki seems fine.

I did put them down on the floor for a minute together with a salad to see hwta would happen, and they were more interested in exploring than in each other. But in the cage, not so.

I was thinking of keeping them separated for the night, and cleaning the cage out in the morning, and maybe adding a second kitchen area to the other end of the cage. Do you guys think this might work? Or have any suggestions? I was considering adopting a third boar since both my boys seemed so docile until now, but now I am not sure.

Anyway, any help is appreciated! I just want my boys to love each other as much as I love them :(.

pigger

Cavy Slave
I'm a newbie to guinea pigs, but not with cats. If my cats ever got into a brawl, I would seperate them for the night. They need time to calm down. But that's what I would do with cats. I'm not experienced with pigs.
I'm sorry that this happened. Make sure their wounds are clean. I hope everything else goes smoothly.

SugarSpice

Cavy Slave
I like your idea about a second dining area. Would tanuki decide to clam that one also and maybe make things worse? So sorry this happened, you must of got such a fright when you found them.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Two dinning areas is not a bad idea. Kind of make two seperate cages: a pigloo and dinning area on one side, and the same on the other. So they can each have their own area to retreat too. I'm sorry this is happening Sari. :hug: I know how stressful it is.

dextersmycutegp

Cavy Slave
Could Costanza be in puberty and challenging Tanuki's athuority?

fairysari

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the advice. I don't think Costanza is challenging Tanuki's authority, because Tanuki comes after him and he just runs away.

fairysari

Cavy Slave
A little addtional info: Thanks to the chat (yay chat!) and talking about what happened with my boys, I realized that the last thing I did before I found the boys all scratched up was put a different hidey in their cage. It's a soft one that they both like, but don't get very often, so I think the fight may have been over that.

I'm going to clean the cage and do floor time later and see how they do, hopefully they'll be ok together.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I hope your boys work it out. They always seemed to behave better then my 2 little monsters.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Good luck Sari. I hope it works out.

fairysari

Cavy Slave
Well, I think everything has worked out. I just built a 2x4 for the pigs to live in when I go visit my parents, so I had the empty coroplast. I put it down on the floor, empty, put their plate of veggies in it, and put both pigs in while I redid their full time cage.

I put in brand new fleece, washed all the hideys really well, and added a second kitchen area. I wish I could find my camera so I could post pictures. So not there is the 2x2 kitchen on one end, and a 1x2 kitchen on the other end. I took a bigbin/shelf/stacky thing and put it in the big kitchen. I don;t know how else to describe it, but it is basically a BIG hidey. Big enough that both pigs can go in and no have to cuddle. Which is what they are doing now, sharing the big hidey. They *never* share hideys, so I am very hopeful now!

So there are two hidey houses in each kitchen, and there is a tubing tunnel and a fiddle stick tunnel in the fleecy part of the cage. (I just reminded myself that I forgot to put cozies in there! I'll go do that as soon as finish typing). There is also a pellet bowl, water bottle, and hayrack at each end. While I was cleaning and organizing the cage, the rumble and chattered a little, and this time it did seem like it was Costanza trying to be dominant. Tanuki didn't seem to care too much, just let him chatter a bit, but they calmed down quickly, and just munched on salad and hay together.

They are coming with me to my parents house this weekend I think, so I really hope I don't have to separate them there...

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
I'm glad things worked out. I know how hard it is to see them fight. You did a good job handling things.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Sari so glad to read that things have worked out. The idea of a kitchen at both ends is a good one no matter what the reason for the fighting. How are they healing?

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Phew! That sounds like it's been an anxious time for you and your pigs! Glad to here things are settling, and hope it continues to go well at your parents!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.