Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Joy My boys are home!

BlueButterfly

Cavy Slave
You may or may not have heard that I was getting two boy guinea pigs. Well, they are finally home! I don't have any pictures, since they're currently in a pet store cage in my room for quarantine. I'll upload pictures of lap time soon. Unfortunately, everything isn't going so well. First off, they have some basic grooming needs. Their nails are a tad long, and their boarly bits need to be cleaned. I was hoping I would be able to put that off, but I checked Sundae and there was a very strong odor.

Then, Sundae is pretty beat up. His tooth was sticking out a few days before I took him home. Right before I took them home, we think the boys got in a fight. Nobody saw it, but Sundae's tooth broke off, and one of his ears was chewed up. By the time we found him, his ear had already scabbed over. Luckily, it looks like there was very little actual tearing on his ear, and the root of his tooth didn't fall off. He's going to the vet to get checked out, and to get the sharp edge of his tooth filed.

During the drive, I didn't see Snickers drink once. He was starting to get dehydrated. But, thanks to watermelon and celery (not too much of either, obviously) I kept him hydrated enough until I got home. Now that we're home, I'll keep an eye on him to see if he starts drinking. If he doesn't, I've got a set of syringes I can use until I take him to the vet.

And, the biggest one of all, I'm 80% percent sure they both have fungal infections. Snickers looks like he has a little patch near his nose starting to loose fur. They're shedding an awfully lot, and they're starting to loose chunks of fur. I'm going to get some Gorgous guineas shampoo, and I'll ask the vet to check it out too. I won't do a skin scrape if I don't have to.

Alright, sorry for the super long rant. As far as that, they're super sweet piggies. I'm going to have to be careful between holding time with the girls and the boys, so the girls don't get a fungal infection either. I'll probably give them a bath anyway, just in case.

Where did you get them from?

Where did you get them from?
A friend. There was a gender mix up, so she ended up with a pregnant pig. So I got the father Sundae, and his son Snickers.

Sorry for the double post, but here are some pictures of them.

[GuineaPigCages.com] My boys are home!Here's Snickers during lap time.
[GuineaPigCages.com] My boys are home!Here's Sundae during lap time.
[GuineaPigCages.com] My boys are home!And here's both of them in their carrier at the hotel. I know it's small, but they weren't in that the whole trip, just over night.

Aww so cute. Hope you get them sorted out with their issues.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.