Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition my boys are close to turning 6 months old. . .

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
and i just wanted to make sure i have this right. up till 6 months they should be (and are) getting alfalfa based pellets and alfalfa hay. once the turn 6 months, i need to change them to timothy hay and in terms of pellets, i have read that oxbow cuisine is recommended for gps over 6 months. right?:?:

thanks!

They should have been on timothy hay all along, with alfalfa pellets. Alfalfa is a legume, like peas and beans, not a grass hay.

Oxbow Cavy Cuisine is good, but watch your pigs for any white, powdery or sludgy urine deposits. Some pigs do just fine on Oxbow, others don't. In the U.S., we usually recommend that people switch pellets from (broken link removed) if their pigs have any difficulty with Oxbow.

thanks for the info! they are getting timothy hay, and the oxbow pellets for young pigs now. i checked the link you gave and there are a lot of choices. would you be so kind as to let me know specifically WHICH hay and WHICH pellets you think would be best to switch to when they turn 6 months thanks!! ❤️

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.