Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance My boys are both trying to dominate after being seperated.

PetsRLife23

Cavy Slave
I have two male boars. Oliver and Kaden. They had been caged together with no problems for over 2 months. Turned out Oliver who use to be the non dominant one had and abscess (He had it before I got him so Kaden was not the cause). He had it lanced a couple weeks ago. Now that the hole is healed I want to put them together.

While Oliver had the opened abscess I seperated them so he could heal, but one day I put them together while cleaning out their cage. Kaden started to chatter his teeth after he smelled the open abscess. Oliver started to rumblestrutt. I was freaked. So I had been planning on putting them together once the wound was closed.

So today I took them out of the cage and cleaned it completely. Then I bathed both of them. Sprayed a little bit of Smellin' good on their back side (I only used it for this particular situation, I usually just use to spray the outside of the cage NOT inside) I then put them in the cage with a new fiddlestick house I bought and nothing else that was familiar to them. At first everything seemed fine. Then the rumblestrutting and teeth chatttering began.

I just gave them fresh veggies to distract them and they are eating fine right now. What else should I do? They are in a 2x4 C&C cage that by the way while they were seperated I divided that cage so each had a 2x2 for a couple weeks and they could still see and smell eachother. I don't have space for another cage and I don't want to seperate them. I definately do not want to give one of them up. I am soo sad I just do not know what to do. They are almost done with their veggies. :(

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs have to re-establish their dominance hierarchy every time they are separated for any length of time. I'd treat it as though you were introducing them for the first time (in essence, you are) and introduce them on neutral territory, then if it goes well move them together into a completely cleaned cage. I had a pair that had to be separated due to a nasty abscess, so I had to do this dance myself for a while. Patience is a must!

Rumblestrutting and chattering is a pretty normal part of the dominance dance and I'd not separate them just for that - let them work it out. The more you separate and put them back together, the more you are stressing them unnecessarily.

PetsRLife23

Cavy Slave
Thats what I thought and it's why I don't want to seperate them just yet. I just do not want any more abscesses to deal with or worse.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.