Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Warm My bedroom gets cool

beachgurl_1988

Cavy Slave
Just wondering what I can do to keep my piggies warm at night. My bedroom tends to get cool in the winter. Not like freezing, but sometimes drops to 65 if it's really cold out. They are on an interior wall, away from the window...but I worry.

There top is open, so I can't so easily cover the cage.

Tried cuddle cups and they wont sleep in them.

I was thinking of like, we have a catbed in the garage that has a warmer in it, doesn't get hot, but just warm. Do they have something like that for guinea pigs?

Have you tried putting something over the cuddle cups, like a tent?

Sixty-five is fine, unless you've got skinny pigs. We keep our house at 66 in the winter, and our pigs have no problems. If you think about, they're fat, which keeps them warm, and they're covered with hair, which also keeps them warm. And pigs just do much better in cooler temperatures than they do in heat.

If you're worried about them, put a couple of step stools in the cage and drape fleece over them. They'll probably sleep under them.

Ok. Thanks guys.

I also like to sleep with my fan on. So i worry about that too. That it will be too much cool air blowing on them

You can keep the breeze off them by draping something over their cage while the fan is on.

I drape fleece to block out any potential draughts. I also make sure everyone has a cozy tunnel or bag to sleep in at night.
My bedroom gets cool

Towel/fleece tents are a piggy favorite, or fleece hanging anywhere that allows them to use it as a blanket. I also make sure that all of their hideys get fleece on top to make sure that they can stay cozy inside, like a bent grid with a double-layer of fleece on top for a nice tunnel/hidey.

I also have a small dog kennel bed that I sometimes put in their cage to have a fuzzy bottom underneath them and big squishy bumpers on the sides to cuddle up with.
It wasn't my intention, but the boys also like to burrow and play under it like it's a big quilt for them. (It's a pain to have to scoop poop from underneath it though.)

I also have a portable radiator that I keep next to their cage to heat up my room, because the ONLY spot I could keep them is under my window. If it's windy outside, I will grab an extra sheet of coroplast and a blanket to make a "lid" for half of the cage, to make sure that any drafts stay off of them.

I think as long as there are no drafts and they have things like hidey houses to sleep in, they should be fine.

my room gets cool too. I usually can tell when they are curled together that they are cold so I drape a blanket over them and they start to hop around again. (it also helps them realize that it's time to quite down) Hope this helped!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.