Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior My Abyssinian

Ollie

Cavy Slave
I got my abyssinian (Name- Ollie, Gender- Male) a couple days ago from a breeder. He is 3-4 months old and is in great health. He gets nervous when I approach him (Slowly) and feels uncomftorable. He loves his cage (Escpecially when I add oranges or lettuce leaves!), but the thing I am worried about is that he was surrounded by guinea pigs when he was born. I only have Ollie, I don't have another. What should I do?! Will he warm up to me?

He will in time most likely, guinea pigs are prey animals, so naturally you look like something trying to eat them, it will take a while, especially with pigs that come from breeders, why buy when pigs die? Adopting is the way to go. You also might want to get him a friend, all guinea pigs are healthier and happier with friends, what size cage do you have, so we can tell you if you have room for another. :)

Thanks guys, my cage is fit for only 1 guinea pig (it is 4 feet long). I will consider upgrading when I get the money :) ! Thanks for your input.

I have an abby named Walter. It took him a few weeks to get warmed up, now when I pet him he popcorns and runs around and comes back and it starts all over again. But boy does he have some attitude. Later this week I'm bringing his buddy home and the introductions will begin! I'm a little wary though, Walter is all personality. From what I've heard about the new piggy he sounds a little more submissive.

Treats with petting worked GREAT for me. Figure out what his favorite is (mine is cucumbers and carrots) and hold the carrot while letting him munch. If he tried to take it and run off...hold tight. If he won't let you pet him at first just talk softly to him while he's munching. It will take a while but I promise it will work!

Good luck!!

His favorite is LETTUCE! OMG He LOVES that stuff. I'll give him a nice chunk and it will be gone in two seconds! I'll try that, thanks

I've only ever owned Aby's. My first girl, Cleo, never had a friend. I was younger then, and my parents were of the opinion that when I would say "We should get another" it was me wanting as many animals as possible. She was always alright, though, and ended up being good friends with my brother's hamster, who lived in a cage stacked on top! It was the cutest thing.

I just got my two new Aby girls, and I have to say, I am continually impressed by their personalities. One sister was very dominant and wasn't very shy at all, and after only a few hours the two had become so comfy in their new cage that the smaller, shyer sister took over the dominant position. They have such BIG personalities! I love it! Having the two girls really makes me appreciate how unique they are.

Personally, though, I would say that after my experience having an Aby alone, as long as you socialize with him well, he'll be just fine without a cagemate.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.