Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy My Abby is pregnant but she was bleeding the other day. still no babies

nikkimac

Cavy Slave
my 9-10mth old abyssinian GP "kelly" is pregnant and she looks like maybe a week out still, she is quite large and the other day she did bleed out a bit. I'm not sure really how much cause it was a little here a little there. I'm afraid that the babies are to big for her and they may have ruptured her uterus. it will cost $110 to go to the vet for a check up and thats not an ultra sound and I really really hope that I am being overly cautious, she is not making any labor noises and the bleeding was just that day, I'm trying to feel her belly hoping for some movement. I thought I did feel something the other day but I'm not sure. The big kicker is that I am moving out of province at the end of the week (july 30th) and will be taking all 4 guinea pigs with me. I'll post some pics later today

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
This is copy and pasted from a guinea lynx forum where a women was in a similar situation. Everyone on the thread agreed the pig should be taken to an emergency vet.

"You will most likely lose her if you don't get her to a vet immediately.
Pigs do not bleed prior to giving birth. She most likely has ruptured her sac and all the babies will die and she will bleed out.
This is an emergency situation."

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
When you say she bled, how much are you talking about? Like blood -tinged fluid or pure blood? If the bleeding stopped and she's behaving normally, then she did not rupture her uterus. The uterine artery is large and if it ruptures they bleed out very quickly. I've never had a sow bleed before giving birth, but that doesn't mean it's not possible. Is this her first litter?

nikkimac

Cavy Slave
it is her first litter. and I have been reading a lot about the pregnancy of guinea pigs. it was pure blood to me, almost like excuse my graphic wording but like a period she is behaving normal, eating moving around my other girl is in there with her and they are both behaving normally. there has not been anymore bleeding since that one day (monday july 24th) I just wished if I knew how close she was or if she is past due.

nikkimac

Cavy Slave
IMG_6346.jpg well I got my answer just wished I was home to see it. came home from work today and there they were in her trunk hut. should they be suckling or anything. Kelly has been tending to them by cleaning them up a bit but that is it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It'll be a while before they start nursing. If you don't have a kitchen scale, get one, and weigh them daily until you're sure they're gaining. Like all newborns, they'll lose a little the first couple of days, but then should start adding weight.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Phew! And congrats on some (seemingly) healthy munchkins

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Congratulations! What are you planning on naming them?

nikkimac

Cavy Slave
IMG_20170726_184443_804.jpg they are doing nicely. not sure on names yet. I might wait until we know the sex

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Congratulations! Glad to know Mama piggie and the kids are doing well. Those are some adorable pigs!

nikkimac

Cavy Slave
thanks. now that they have cleaned up nicely and are little puff balls, they have some nice colour on them. the one is two tone and the other is tri tone which I love.. so I would assume the daddy was my Sheltie Ash because he is brown and white. my other piggy boar is a red and white Abby like the mamma. I'm just happy that both babies are Abby's its my fav bread.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.