Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Mums making me come off fleece

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Its just about autumn now and winter is on the way. I will have no way of getting the towels and fleece dry. According to my mum its time that I go back to hay and newspaper.
We have no drier. I don't know what to do. I'm on my own and its up to me to figure out how to do this :(

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
The only solution I can recommend would be a laundromat.

Keep dirty fleece in a hamper for a week or two and then make a trip to get it all washed and dried. Or if you have a washer at home you can wash it there then take it to get dried.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Instead of newspaper, can you buy wood pellets or other disposable bedding?

Due to drought in California, I've stopped using fleece and switched to wood pellets and care fresh.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Fleece dries very easily and quickly. Could you put pellets underneath? You could easily wash the fleece by hand and dry it on a rack in the house.

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Using a laundromat is a good idea! I've had a good search in all the online pet stores just now but cannot see wood-pellets :confused:

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Can anyone help me? I live in New Zealand and I cannot find wood-pellets!!! I'm searching now. It seems like the perfect solution!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Try feed stores that supply horse farms. The pellets are widely available in most places for use in horse stalls.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Hardware stores often sell wood pellets as well.

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Cool, I'll have a look. Thanks for your help :)

pigslave1

Cavy Slave
Hi! I've tried fleece, but it's just not practical for me and my my pig, so I use pine shavings for litter and I shred my own budding out of used printer-type paper. I found the pine shavings at my local hardware store. $6 for a huge bale that lasts me about 6 months!

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Wow that's a pretty good deal! I do have a huge bag of shavings left over from my pet mouse (he died a while ago) but I'm not sure that they're suitable for guinea pigs.

AmyBufCo

Cavy Slave
Cedar is not recommended and dangerous for all small animals, pine has some phenols which can be dangerous (so it shouldn't be used in an closed cage- can have the bag open for a few days to help get rid of the phenols- the "wood" smell of pine is the phenols), aspen is the best wood to use according to this source (it states it's more expensive and harder to find but I find the same big-bulk bag of it for the same cost of pine at the pet store near me).

https://www.guinealynx.info/bedding.html

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
@AmyBufCo Not all pine is dangerous. I use pine bedding. If it is kiln dried bedding, you can use it. Make sure it doesn't smell strongly of pine. Just do not use cedar; most other things are okay. Look for KILN-DRIED on the label of the pine bedding

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
@animalmadlover You can get pellets at feed or tractor stores. Most of the time it is listed as pelleted bedding for horse stalls, but there is the occasional brand meant for smaller animals. Some people use pelleted kitty litter. Have you considered that?

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
18775.jpgThis is what I have, but ti doesn't say what type of wood it is???

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Be very careful about using newspaper as a primary element of your bedding. It gets soaked through very easily and can give your piggies bumblefoot. I currently use it as the base layer in the swimming pool where I keep my piggies, but it's generously topped with Carefresh.

PumpkinJuly

Cavy Slave
Use fleece and maybe dry it on a heater? If you have a space heater and can put it on there (and watch it closely) then maybe you won't need to switch?

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Its all in German, dad managed to read it and said that there was nothing on the type of wood. There's lots of information on how great the product is, but nothing on the type!!!!!!

Fay

Cavy Slave
Its all in German, dad managed to read it and said that there was nothing on the type of wood. There's lots of information on how great the product is, but nothing on the type!!!!!!

Is there no other writing on the back or sides? All it says at the front is that it's 'softwood' so to me that is highly suspicious and could mean that it might be cedar, why else try to hide the fact? I would swap to a bedding that specifically tells you what type of wood it is made of because if it's cedar it will be harmful to your pigs. I just wouldn't risk it:

https://www.guinealynx.info/bedding_avoid.html#cedar

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.