Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Moving

Res Judicata

Cavy Slave
We bought a house and will be moving in about a month. Our pigs have never moved before, except across the room when we rearranged things. How well do pigs handle the stresses of being in a new environment? The cage is going to be the same, of course, but how well to they the tolerate new sights, smells, etc. that come with being somewhere else? They are going to be in the study/room-where-we'll-keep-the-exercise-bike. Will a quieter environment help keep any stress at bay? People will be in and out of that room; it's the place where I'll do all my studying and exercise on weekends, but it'll be a lot quieter than the current living room is.

sammy_kaye

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure how they will react. But if you move some of their cage furnishings without cleaning, it will ensure that there are some familiar sights and smells for them.

I have moved several times with animals (although never with Guinea Pigs) and I know once my cat sees our furniture she relaxes a lot quicker. Think carefully about when in the moving you will take the pigs as you will have to set up their cage and get them settled before getting onto anything else. I usually move the cats in the second to last if not last trip as then there is some familiar sights and smells in the house and I don't have to worry about noises and them escaping out an open door. (I have moved once a year for the past 5 years for one reason or another so have gotten rather experienced)

Toadies

Cavy Slave
Sammy_Kaye's advice is right on. If you don't absolutely need to wash something of theirs - don't. It may not smell so good to you but it is security to them. Do you plan on leaving them in the quieter room for good? The reason I ask is because I moved my boys from about 5 feet away from my kitchen (very busy) to the other side of a small living room, about 25 feet from where they were before. Although they're "OK", I can tell that they would really prefer to be back in the thick of it. SO, I am trying to re-rearrange things so that they can have their front row seats again. Just a thought. Hope that your move is boring and uneventful and that your new house is a wonderful adventure.

sammy_kaye

Cavy Slave
There are pros and cons in putting them in a quieter area first. Pros are it will be less stressful, gives them space to settle in etc. Cons are That you will be moving them twice, they may not be as included in the family etc. If it was me I would choose where they were going to be and leave them there and save them from having to settle in twice. But that is just me and my pigs which are quiet confident and love being amongst the husstle and busstle of life. I guess you will have to take into consideration your piggies personalities too.

Res Judicata

Cavy Slave
The quieter area is going to be their permanent place. I'd love to have them in the living room, but the three outside walls of the living room are covered in windows. It's constantly bathed in sunlight. I don't want to always have the curtains shut, I love natural light. So that means the piggies need to be in a room where they won't bake. It looks like half the room will be used for toys, so the kids'll be down there each day, and I'll be down there studying when the kids go to bed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.