Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

moving to a different country

sannie

Cavy Slave
Hey,
I am not yet a piggie owner... but I want to get two in the near future.
The thing is: I am actually from Germany and I am going to move back there next year...
does anyone have experience with taking guinea pigs on a flight?
thanks so much.

Sannie

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I think it would be ok, but MAKE SURE that the law allows you to take them into Germany and out of where you are moving from. Also, you should take them onto the plane with you in an airline-approved cat carrier. Make sure this is possible.
If I were you, I'd wait to get the piggies until you are actually in Germany as it will eliminate the stress on the newly adopted cavies. This is the best choice, in my opinion. Good luck! =)

sannie

Cavy Slave
Yes, I see your point... but I don't know if I can wait for another year :)

Anyways, I am not sure where to find out if I can take them into Germany (although I am pretty sure I can). The info I could find on the net was only for cats and dogs. Do these "rules" apply to piggies too?

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I'd think some of them would, but I would call and ask someone who knows for sure. The worst thing would be getting them there, and having them taken from you because they are not allowed. That would be horrible. You can probably find the number of someone who knows about the German laws and give them a call. I know it is hard to wait, but also:

What will you do for the cage when you get there? You shouldn't keep the piggies in the carrier for long. What are you planning?

sannie

Cavy Slave
I am definitely going to make sure that I have all these things figured out BEFORE I actually consider getting/adopting the guinea pigs!! If there is any problem, I will wait til Germany for sure!

Regarding the cage, I was planning to build one of these C&C cages which I could take to Germany then since they are collapsible. That shouldnt' be a problem and I could set it up right away.
Be sure, I'll think about all these things BEFORE i would get the piggies!

So that's what I am doing right now: Trying to get as much information as possible :)

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I thought so, just wanted to make sure! =) The C&C cage sounds like an excellent idea! =)

CaliGirl

Cavy Slave
Im sure they allow guinea pigs. My mom grew up in Switzerland (which is right next to gemany) and had a pet guinea pig when she was little. But be sure to check any way.

sannie

Cavy Slave
Yes, we do have guinea pigs in Germany.
The question was, if there are any regulations bringing a guinea pig over from here...
but I searched the internet again and it seems that there is no problem.

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
sannie said:
Yes, we do have guinea pigs in Germany.
The question was, if there are any regulations bringing a guinea pig over from here...
but I searched the internet again and it seems that there is no problem.
Yay!! What kind of piggies are you going to get?

sannie

Cavy Slave
cinn&sprinslave said:
Yay!! What kind of piggies are you going to get?
I don't know yet... I like Teddies :)
But I'll probably adopt two from an animal shelter or rescue... so I'll pick out the cutest there =)

What kind do you have?

Treen

Cavy Slave
If you have a big move planned within a year, why not talk to a local rescue or shelter about fostering pigs for them in the meantime? That way, you'd get to share your life with them and help out, but you wouldn't have the stress and expense of transporting them to Germany. Some pigs cope with travel okay, but others get really stressed out by it and it is a very long trip. Anyway, was just an idea!

sannie

Cavy Slave
Mmh, that would be an option. Haven't thought about that... but I was definitely going to adopt piggies from a shelter/rescue anyways. So I should talk to some people there about that.

Thanks for the thought!=)

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
That's a good idea! I didn't think of that one. Good luck, Sannie!

sannie

Cavy Slave
Thank you... I'll keep you posted here about my plans!

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
sannie said:
I don't know yet... I like Teddies :)
But I'll probably adopt two from an animal shelter or rescue... so I'll pick out the cutest there =)

What kind do you have?
I have 2 texels, 1 merino, 1 teddy, 1 silkie, 3 american, and 1 pervuvian.
Short haired piggies are way easier to take care of. During the summer I have each of my long haired piggies shaved (at the vet) to only inch long hair instead of 4 or 5 inches long. So they stay cool and I don't have to brush them etc.

sannie

Cavy Slave
cinn&sprinslave said:
I have 2 texels, 1 merino, 1 teddy, 1 silkie, 3 american, and 1 pervuvian.
Short haired piggies are way easier to take care of. During the summer I have each of my long haired piggies shaved (at the vet) to only inch long hair instead of 4 or 5 inches long. So they stay cool and I don't have to brush them etc.
Thank you for your reply. Which kind do you like best?
I think I like the ones with the short curly hair... these are teddies, right? (like the one in my avatar?)
I am trying to stay on top of all the different kinds, but sometimes I get them mixed up :)

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
sannie said:
Thank you for your reply. Which kind do you like best?
I think I like the ones with the short curly hair... these are teddies, right? (like the one in my avatar?)
I am trying to stay on top of all the different kinds, but sometimes I get them mixed up :)

I like Teddies best for their looks, but out of all my piggies my male Texel has the best personality. Yes I think the pic in your avatar is a teddy.

sannie

Cavy Slave
cinn&sprinslave said:
I like Teddies best for their looks, but out of all my piggies my male Texel has the best personality. Yes I think the pic in your avatar is a teddy.
What exactly do you mean by "best personality"? (most friendly, most cuddly, most...?)

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
sannie said:
What exactly do you mean by "best personality"? (most friendly, most cuddly, most...?)

My male Texel is by far the most cuddly and he loves to be held, I made a little sling type pouch to hold him in (the sling hooks onto me) so he can be with me while I am walking etc. He also has such a cute personality he comes by name when you call him, I let him out in the yard and he does circles around the yard and then when I call him he comes rushing back. He is by the most friendliest of all the piggies I have. (I think males are more relaxed than females, but that is my personal opinion.)

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I think the personalitites are totally independent of breed and/or gender. That's my opinion. I have heard on the internet that "male piggies will fight all the time" and blah blah blah. My pigs sometimes bicker, but so do all piggies. They are inseperable, though. When I take one out for "cozy time", the other will chut around looking for him, and will wait patiently until the one I have out comes back. They sometimes snuggle in one small cozy, which is really quite entertaining. =) I think females can do the same, and so can all breeds.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.