Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Moving soon, need smaller c&c cage!

Dannikins

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone, I am in fact moving soon. To an apartment! I've spoken to the landlord about my piggies and he will allow them, but there's a catch... I doubt he'll allow my cage to be on the floor because the floors are hardwood! I have no other pets, just my piggies. But the apartment itself isn't all that big and I need some ideas on how to make a smaller cage that's up off of the floor. I'm kind of at a loss because I want to have the cage in the Den or some place other than my room. (bedrooms are small) and I have a lot of stuff to put in my room.
If anyone has any ideas, please help! I'll be glad to take any into consideration!

You can make a stand of grids, and make sure to put the connectors at the bottom to protect the floor. A 2 grid high stand is best for your back. Put an easily vacuumed carpet underneath for extra protection as well.

Try to avoid switching to a smaller cage if you can. You can always build it differently to fit it into the space you have, like an L shape, or 3 cube wide.

I see, I plan on getting my c&c cage from ebay, so that should work out. The cage I have now is surely way too big, I'll consider the L shape and should fit in the den. Thanks for the help!

Just make sure it meets the specifications listed on the home page for the number of guinea pigs you have. Have you priced the grids and coroplast in your area to see if you can make it cheaper? They're not expensive to make yourself if you can find the coroplast near you.

There's a sign shop near me, only abut a 25 minute drive so that's where I'll be getting my coroplast from. As for the cubes, I'll have to get them from eBay, as I have no shops near me that sells them, sadly! That's the only reason I have my alternative cage now, and I really hate to downgrade on size, my piggies seem to enjoy the large cage but I'll be sure to make it big enough for my two boys and small enough to fit in a corner of my apartment! Thanks!

Do you have Walmart near you? If you do you can order the grids online and have them shipped to the store, thats what I have to do, because no one carries them in store where I live.

LOL, your landlord probably envisioned a store bought cage when he said the pigs were OK. He has no idea what kind of cage you plan to house them in. Hehe...lol

Do you have Walmart near you? If you do you can order the grids online and have them shipped to the store, thats what I have to do, because no one carries them in store where I live.
Yes, I do have a Walmart near me, and that seems like a great idea. I'll compare the prices on eBay and Walmart to see which is cheapest. thank you!

@Petlovr Possibly true, but she could always make the sides higher if she needs to, to make sure no bedding, litter, hay, or whatever she has gets on the floor. I doubt he'll notice much of a difference. ^.^

LOL, your landlord probably envisioned a store bought cage when he said the pigs were OK. He has no idea what kind of cage you plan to house them in. Hehe...lol
Yeah, I thought about that! And it has me a bit worried to be honest, but I think as long as the cage is off of the floor, he shouldn't care. He really stressed the hardwood floor thing, even asked me to put down floor protection furniture pads! LOL

@(broken link removed) Good point, I may have to make the coroplast sides a bit higher than I planned. Shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, I do have a Walmart near me, and that seems like a great idea. I'll compare the prices on eBay and Walmart to see which is cheapest. thank you!
No worries, someone on here gave me the same suggestion hehe. Always a pleasure to pass on good advice :cheerful:.

Can you take a picture of where you may want the cage let us help before makeing the cage smaller. Which in my oppinion should be the last resort. Personally, I would Get rid of a table or piece of furniture before downsizing. Just saying

Can you take a picture of where you may want the cage let us help before makeing the cage smaller. Which in my oppinion should be the last resort. Personally, I would Get rid of a table or piece of furniture before downsizing. Just saying
Sure! I'm glad I took pictures then! I'll show you all three pictures, one of the Den and one of dining area. And possibly the bedroom. [GuineaPigCages.com] Moving soon, need smaller c&c cage![GuineaPigCages.com] Moving soon, need smaller c&c cage![GuineaPigCages.com] Moving soon, need smaller c&c cage!

Fun! Those are nice hardwoods...you'll be fine. A rug from Target/IKEA under your cage (even if it's on the floor) is going to protect them. The fact is, ANY landlord would rather you have Guinea pigs than a dog, cat or even a fish tank...the liability is extremely low.

I have my 2x6 on a very large table from IKEA. There are a bunch of table options out there if you don't want to build your own stand from grids, but the grid stand is definitely the most cost effective.

I ordered my grids from Walmart and picked them up to avoid shipping, you might find the shipping price to be through the roof since they're on the heavy side. Remember, a plastics company will probably give you a better price on coroplast than a sign shop. This place has a list - (broken link removed) maybe there is one near you?

LOL, if possible, I would just make sure he can't see the cage from the front door. Or stand in the door so he can't see it if he comes-a-knockin'. lol

It's funny! Most people have NO IDEA what kind of cages we have when we say "Guinea Pigs". I'm sure they'd all think we're nuts if they saw the standard cages people have here...

@Petlovr - everyone I know thinks I am nuts! The ones who haven't written me off as crazy think I must be the best Guinea Pig mom in the world...I just tell them, this is nothing, you should see what other people do!!

Fun! Those are nice hardwoods...you'll be fine. A rug from Target/IKEA under your cage (even if it's on the floor) is going to protect them. The fact is, ANY landlord would rather you have Guinea pigs than a dog, cat or even a fish tank...the liability is extremely low.

I have my 2x6 on a very large table from IKEA. There are a bunch of table options out there if you don't want to build your own stand from grids, but the grid stand is definitely the most cost effective.

I ordered my grids from Walmart and picked them up to avoid shipping, you might find the shipping price to be through the roof since they're on the heavy side. Remember, a plastics company will probably give you a better price on coroplast than a sign shop. This place has a list - (broken link removed) maybe there is one near you?
Ahh, I do plan on making my stands from the grids and using a rug underneath the cage! I'll check out the link you provided, thanks

LOL, if possible, I would just make sure he can't see the cage from the front door. Or stand in the door so he can't see it if he comes-a-knockin'. lol

It's funny! Most people have NO IDEA what kind of cages we have when we say "Guinea Pigs". I'm sure they'd all think we're nuts if they saw the standard cages people have here...
When my boyfriends cousin came to visit he looked at our current cage as if it were a little too much, funny to see peoples reactions!

When my boyfriends cousin came to visit he looked at our current cage as if it were a little too much, funny to see peoples reactions!

LOL. We have a 2x5 and people are like "WOW! That is huge", and I am like yeah I wish it could be bigger. Their eyes just bug out at that. It is as big as we can go though and plenty of room for 2 but still they would have a bed room to themselves if we had the space.... :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.