Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Mounting... HELP

ericamay601

Cavy Slave
A little bit of background.. I have five piggies. Three females and two males. I bought a bonded pair (male and female), which I separated in a cage, but they could still interact through the grids. Apparently, female piggy was pregnant when I got her, but her previous owner swore they had never been in same cage together. So, few weeks later, we have three piggy babies.

We decided to keep the babies since we have a very big cage. The male baby is now four weeks and weaned so he's gone to live with daddy piggy. However, daddy piggy has lost his mind! He only wants to chase the baby and mount him very aggressively. It almost seems like he's being a bully to the little one, but I also read where he may just be showing dominance. Any advice???

How big is the cage the daddy and the baby are in? And did you do proper introductions, or just put the baby in the dad's cage? Read Guinea Pigs Social Life for introduction instructions -- they're about halfway down.

And it's undoubtedly a dominance thing, which doesn't help the baby pig feel a bit better! Could you get the dad interested in a small stuffed toy if you rubbed it over the baby first so that some of his smell is on the toy? Maybe that would at least make the dad divide his attention between the two.

How big is the cage the daddy and the baby are in? And did you do proper introductions, or just put the baby in the dad's cage? Read Guinea Pigs Social Life for introduction instructions -- they're about halfway down.

And it's undoubtedly a dominance thing, which doesn't help the baby pig feel a bit better! Could you get the dad interested in a small stuffed toy if you rubbed it over the baby first so that some of his smell is on the toy? Maybe that would at least make the dad divide his attention between the two.

Bpatters I just want to comment that that is a GREAT idea! Where did you hear that stuffed animal trick?

We did a proper introduction in the middle of my living room last week. Actually, every day we put them together outside of the cage. We slowly started letting baby spend thirty minutes or so in the dad's cage and never had a problem. Today, we put him in the cage, and daddy piggy went absolutely crazy! The 'male' portion of the cage is 2x4. I'm going to try the stuffed animal trick and see if it helps.

@ericamay601, what you should also do is thoroughly clean the cage so that there's no smell of either pig in it. Wash everything that's washable. Rearrange the whole cage so that it's unfamiliar to your older pig. Take the current hideys out and substitute boxes with the bottoms cut out and holes in the ends, or make a couple of fleece forests. Make sure every hidey has both an entrance and an exit so the little guy can't get trapped. Both pigs, but the big pig in particular, need to think they're in a totally new place so there's no need to defend their old territory.

So we found that the solution was very simple. We put a towel on the couch and put them on opposite ends similar to an introduction. They immediately ran to each other and acted civilized. We kept them on the couch for awhile, then set them back into the cage. Haven't had a problem since. I guess it was just 'one of those days'.

That's so good!!:) It seems like he was just trying to protect his territory and many times two boys will fight if thy smell sows. Judy keep an eye on them. They seem fine now.

If they're right beside the female that could also be causing a problem. If the female's are in heat, then the males will go a little crazy and probably try to mount each other.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.