Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

mounting female

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
My largest, dominant, pig chardonnay, has been mounting her mother, trila for the past few days very frequently. :sarcastic I have seen my girls in heat before, but it lasts only for 1 day. Is my cavy just establishing dominance? Trila wheeks soloud that it wakes me up at night so i know she isn't very happy.
Should i separate chardonnay until she can control herself?

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
Sorry but just had to add this. Chardonnay backed Trila into a corner and was just on top of her. Is that really normal?

Lbooch

Cavy Slave
Well, my to very young guineas will run to the corner and the other might get on top of the other one.

Hope, this helped

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
It sounds pretty normal. I'm wondering if the other pig has come into heat? Sometimes with female piggies living closely together they come into heat at the same time, or within days of each other. It's the same with most other female mammals.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Just this morning my Cali was busy mounting my boar, Simon. She is in heat. Females will mount each other during when they are in heat. I believe that it lasts about 12-24 hours.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
It's normal, don't separate. You will only cause more problems by separating.

CactusCavy

Cavy Slave
...So mounting among sows means that they're in heat? A long while back I was a bit shocked to see Nutmeg mount Callisto after lots of "chuttering" (is that the right word?) on both their parts. I know 100% that Nutty's a girl, so I was thinking she was (seemingly) randomly stating her dominince (sp??) over Callisto. But now, if she was in heat... Strange, I've never noticed any of them act that way before, and I've had them close to a year.... :D

~Cactus

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Mounting can mean they are in heat but it can also mean a sow is asserting dominance over another sow. My girls do it mostly when they are in heat.