Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Motherless Cavies

marmite

Cavy Slave
I have 4 baby pigs they will be a week old tomorrow(19/08/04)Unfortunately their mother died today, we aren't sure why, but we think she managed to eat something she shouldn't!
The babies are starting to eat solid food, greens of all kinds but i'm worried i should be doing more. When do they stop taking milk from their mother, should i be giving them a substitute?? Should i be encouraging them to eat other things and not the greens and vegatables just yet??
Any help would be greatefully recieved.
Thank you

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Oh no!!! I'm sorry to hear about that. Here is a link on hand feeding the pups, though I could not find out how long they should be fed for.

https://www.guinealynx.info/emergencymedicalguide.html#pups

I hope that helps and you can find out how long to do this for! =)

edited: Ok, I found a link (don't know how reliable it is; check with a vet through a phone call) that says for the first 5 days, they need to be fed milk. Since that is over for you, it says to gradually reduce feedings over the next two weeks. I hope this can help you, but please make a call to the vet's office just to be sure. =)

ChadWPB

Cavy Slave
No milk substitute is necessary at all. If the pups are eating veggies and hay on their own (which they should) and gaining weight, just monitor them closely. Any pup not gaining weight needs to be handfed and may require veterinary attention.

Good luck!

piggielover92

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig sow had three babies in Feb. After a month they were weaned from their mom. 1 week is way to young to not have milk! It is okay if they choose to have solid food, but they need to be hand fed also. You can go to Petco/PetSmart to buy formula and supplies to hand feed. I am VERY sorry to hear about your sow! =(

pigsandrats

Cavy Slave
The same thing happened to us a few years ago.

What our vet had us do was feed them KMR for kittens with an eye dropper. It worked great! We bought the powdered KMR so we could make small amounts at a time. Also, be sure to wipe their bottom areas with a warm wet cloth after feeding to stimulate them to go to the bathroom.

The hardest thing was to teach them how to use the water bottle.

Good Luck!! :)

ChadWPB

Cavy Slave
piggielover92 said:
My guinea pig sow had three babies in Feb. After a month they were weaned from their mom. 1 week is way to young to not have milk! It is okay if they choose to have solid food, but they need to be hand fed also. You can go to Petco/PetSmart to buy formula and supplies to hand feed. I am VERY sorry to hear about your sow! =(
NO MILK OR MILK REPLACERS! Guinea pigs are not built to digest dairy products. Read this page from Guinea Lynx:

https://guinealynx.info/emergencymedicalguide.html#pups

Use Critical Care (sold by your vet) or a pellet mash for handfeeding. Mother's milk is NOT necessary for survival because of a pig's long gestation. They are born fully furred and ready to run! Definitely encourage them to eat on their own.

The first week is most critical. By three weeks, pups are weaning or already weaned.

marmite

Cavy Slave
Thank you

Thank you for all your answers and help, i will keep you informed on how they do.
Thanks again

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.