Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Weight Most accurate way to get a Guinea Pigs weight

• Thread starter Guinea_Pigs_Are_A_lifest
  • Start date

Guinea_Pigs_Are_A_lifest

Cavy Slave
Hello! I was just wondering what the most accurate way to weigh a guinea pig. Do I weigh them before I feed them? After? Or take an average?… and what is the average weight for females? I have a 7 month old, a yearling, and a 1 year 6 month old. What would be the best weight for them?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Weigh them before breakfast, and average the weight over several days to get an "true" weight.

As far as average weight is concerned, what is the average weight for women? or men? People, and pigs, are different sizes and bone structures. There is no average weight that is right for all people, or for all pigs.

Your seven month old should still be gaining steadily, although slower than when s/he was younger.

Veterinarian Sandra Mitchell says this about weight:

The easiest way to tell the status of your pigs' fat stores is to regularly run your hands down the entire length of the body, starting right behind the ears. In a well proportioned pig, you will be able to feel both the ribs and the backbone going "bump-bump-bump" under your fingers. These bumps should not be sharp or obvious, but palpable. If you are unable to feel those bumps - the fat stores are too thick and your pig is too chubby. If the bumps are very noticeable, then your pig may be too skinny. Both underweight and overweight pigs may have underlying medical conditions resulting in their abnormal fat stores, and should be evaluated by your veterinarian.

Guinea_Pigs_Are_A_lifest

Cavy Slave
Weigh them before breakfast, and average the weight over several days to get an "true" weight.

As far as average weight is concerned, what is the average weight for women? or men? People, and pigs, are different sizes and bone structures. There is no average weight that is right for all people, or for all pigs.

Your seven month old should still be gaining steadily, although slower than when s/he was younger.

Veterinarian Sandra Mitchell says this about weight:
Than you