Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

More horrible cages - this time for rabbits!

• Thread starter Myspoiltpiggies
  • Start date

thecarerescue

Cavy Slave
Oh yuck!
Those last two links are especially disgusting. 600 rabbits?!

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Okay let me get this straight, the lady in the last link got the rabbits to use their fur for making homespun gifts? Would anyone like to acompany me to Windsor to shave this lady's head to make a cute little homespun basket?

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
I will!:mad: Its just horrid that that is all they're kept for.

laura220

Cavy Slave
600 rabbits!? And did you see those bare wire cages? Such a boring life. I wonder if they even have time to feed all of the rabbits everyday, I didn't see any hay.

enchantingcavy

Cavy Slave
Gosh they are housed worse than some of the worst guinea pig ones or close to it>( . The poor things can't even move their body length in most setups it's ridiculus...that's animal cruelty!

I posted this link the other week to show how horrible this persons caviary was...
But i missed something...
Check out the rabbitry...didnt even realise she had one...

She has all her rabbits sitting on wire floors...:confused:

http://24.108.153.70/common%20folder/aboutcreatorscritters.html

You'd think rabbits housed like that would end up with leg and joint problems they have legs like they do for running and hopping and digging and they can't do anything natural in those horrible setups.

*~jess~*

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Rabbits have it far worse than guinea pigs in most siduations.

YK Shepherd

Cavy Slave
I find the cages sold in the pet stores are way too small for one rabbit, even the great big cages are too small. I started with one and oh my the poor bunny could not even play. So I went out and bought the giant dog crate with a tray in the bottom. So now all day funny bunny is in that playing. My dogs cannot get him and eat him, but he has room to play. I do place him in his smaller crate at night simply because I know my doggies are smart enough to open up the crate and eat funny bunny. So he is safe in his smaller crate. Imagine the life of those poor bunnies locked up in such small areas, breeding and having babies. Even the ones that have outdoor runs, did you happen to notice how many bunnies were in those runs? None! Gotta wonder with that many rabbits how often they use those runs or are they there to keep people like you and I passified? There is no need to house any animal that way, if they truely care about what they are breeding I would think they would take better care of the bunnies that are producing for them. In the dog world we call that a puppy mill or at the very least a back yard breeder.:mad:

naturestee

Cavy Slave
YK Shepard, I definately agree with you on the pet store cages. I got one as one of those set-up deals when i got my first bun, Mocha. She was so tiny that it wasn't too bad. There was even room for a shelf in there, and she got tons of attention and play time. But at her glorious full adult weight of barely two pounds (in other words, almost undersized for a dwarf breed) it wasn't enough room for her. It is now being used as a hospital cage for Fey so she doesn't rip her stitches out by hopping around. After seeing a 3.5 pound rabbit in it, which is still small by the way, I now call it the "Mommy hates me" cage. That's what I see in her eyes.

This cage is 18x30in, which is bigger than some breeder cages. For larger animals than my undersized Polish, no less.:yuck:

Shepard, have you tried fastening the door to the cage better? I used a small latch like the one on a dog leash on my dog crate until I was sure that the buns in it couldn't open the door.

Oh, and I LOVE the breeder site that says it cares for all of it's rabbits. Um, they're mass-producing the most popular commercial (read:meat) breeds? Eww.

YK Shepherd

Cavy Slave
I have tried snaps but my two german shepherds, open it and they will eat the rabbit, so I feel it is better to be safe and put him in his cage. I am however in the process of bunny proofing my spare room. Almost done and it has a few shelves in it for him to hope up on and a few toys and a corner litter box, plus a cool cat bed that he loves to sleep in. He is litter box trained so, when it is all safe and complete he will be allowed to play in there and never use his torture crate again. It is the super size and it is way to small. I hate it.

Just have to put abit more plexi glass on the walls to prevent him from chewing the drywall. I have all electrical outlets covered up and inaccessable, so there will be no chewing on cords or anything.

SleepyBirdy
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
SleepyBirdy said:
only the last three were horrible to me. The first three seemed perfectly fine.

How can you even think that? Imagine yourself sitting in a wire floored bathroom all day. That is what it is like to all those poor rabbits.

I am anti-cage for rabbits. They need at least a room's run during the day. At night a cage is fine. Absolutely indoors for the night and in a secure run outdoors if need be.

Chloë-Jasmine

Cavy Slave
Slap Maxwell said:
Rabbits have it far worse than guinea pigs in most siduations.

They most certainly do. Bunnies live a lot longer, have more 'commercial' uses and have bigger litters. So people take advantage of that. It's so sad. I let my bunnies run around the house most of the time, and I'm always thinking 'I need a bigger place so they can run more!' It makes me so angry to see that!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.