Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Costs More boar stuff...

arionat799

Cavy Slave
As you all know, I want t get Ginger a buddy. My question is: Can boars have their perenial/whatever sacs they need cleaned done at the vet? If so, how much does it cost?

the anal sacs need to be cleaned every week, really, for good grooming. it's really not hard once you and your pig get used to it. i have 4 boys, and it take just a few minutes every week to clean them all up. there are videos somewhere that will show you how it's done. you could have the vet show you the first time, but i can't imagine you want to take your pig to the vet every week for their grooming.

Not to sound bad but it honestly just grosses me out so I was really asking just because I wouldn't want to do it. Females it is for me! Thanks :)

I'm sure you could get the vet to do it, though personally I wouldn't bother spending the money. It isn't the most pleasant tast, but thankfully it's not hard and doesn't take long to do. I'm sure you have it in you to do it!!

is ginger a girl? why are you even considering getting her a male as a "buddy"? just curious. . .

He'd be neutered of course! I've been on this site long enough to know how wrong breeding is...Elisa I love the fact that you responded b/c reading about Sheldon and Penny is what got me to begin thinking about getting Ginger a neutered boar friend lol

He'd be neutered of course! I've been on this site long enough to know how wrong breeding is...Elisa I love the fact that you responded b/c reading about Sheldon and Penny is what got me to begin thinking about getting Ginger a neutered boar friend lol

Aww, how cute! Penny and Sheldon are a very sweet couple!

edit: Woops... I typed "tast" instead of "task" in my first post! :D

Last edited:
how often does a nuetered boar need to be done?
I am gonna have the vet show me the first one then do the rest
myself.

It is not necessary to clean out a boars sac unless he needs it. A weekly check is okay, but I would not clean it out unless he had problems with impaction, or with getting debris in there.

A boar can go without ever having his sac cleaned out.

Most neutered boars do not have problems with impaction and would not need cleaning out.

I check my neutered boar often, not because he gets super gunky, but his long bum hairs get up in there. I'm waiting until he's a bit more comfortable with me so I can trim his hiney. He's always pretty clean when I check him, other than the hair. I've never seen any nasty stuff in him yet!

It is not necessary to clean out a boars sac unless he needs it. A weekly check is okay, but I would not clean it out unless he had problems with impaction, or with getting debris in there.

A boar can go without ever having his sac cleaned out.

Most neutered boars do not have problems with impaction and would not need cleaning out.

What?! Really?!

So what do you guys think would be better? Adopting a neutered boar friend for Ginger or another sow? Of course depending on if my Dad says yes or no...

I think it all depends on the personalities of the pigs involved.

It is harder to find neutered males than unaltered females, though.

Thanks @foggycreekcavy! Now that I think about it, I would love to keep the girl theme in Ginger's cage. I think I will stick with sows. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.