Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Moo, the piggy barber.

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
We have two sows. Moo was born just after Thanksgiving and we got her December 23rd, and Lucy was born December 1st and we got her the same day as Moo.

Lucy is some mix of random piggies I think, I'm not totally sure what type she is. But she has long hair, not so long that it needs trimming but definitely longer than any pig I've had before. At first we thought she was an aby but her hair just kept growing and growing.

Anyway, Moo has taken to "trimming" Lucy's hair lately. I first noticed it a week or so ago when I went to do our regular nail trimming. Lucy had a patch of hair around her middle that had been trimmed at least an inch. So I looked in the cage to see if she'd shed an excess amount but only found the normal amount of hairs stuck to the fleece. We do a weekly cage cleaning every Friday and I think this was a Wednesday afternoon. Then I questioned the kids, we have an 11yr old, a 6yr old and a 5yr old and so I reminded them that unless Mom or Dad says so that the pigs don't need hair cuts and asked if one of them trimmed her. They all denied it as if I'd asked if they sold the cat or something equally unforgivable. So I kept an eye on the situation.

Sure enough the next afternoon I heard some of that purring noise coming from the pig pen and walked over catching Moo in the act of trimming the other end of Lucy.

Lucy didn't seem all that bothered, and Moo didn't seem that annoyed that I stopped her so it didn't seem like a dominance thing.

I've never had this happen before so maybe someone else will know what to do about this, or if it's normal piggie behavior. Our next step is to just trim Lucy's hair ourselves so that Moo won't choke on it or anything.

Good plan. About all you can do is hope that Moo has some sense of style, since there's nothing you can do to stop it. Some pigs just seem to be born with a barbering gene. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.