Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pigsitting Moldy Waterbottle... :/ Unsure what to do...

schavarry

Cavy Slave
I'm piggysitting. Yesterday I noticed that their waterbottle has mold in it - I have no idea how long it's been moldy! They've only been at my house since Friday night, which means I probably missed it on Sat and Sun when I had my daughter fill up the water but it could've been gross before then.

I threw the waterbottle in the dishwasher because my bottle brush wouldn't fit inside - but when it came out it was still moldy and gross! Is it safe to use bleach on the water bottle? Or should I just toss it and replace it?

Thankfully I have extra bottles for my pigs so they aren't stuck using a moldy bottle but I need another one so I can rotate the bottles through the wash...

I'd toss it. They're cheap to replace, so soaking it in bleach seems like a waste of time.

I don't believe bleach should ever be used for anything, just throw it away and buy a new cheap one, I use the critter canteens they are very cheep, and work better than any others I have tried, even the really expensive ones.

If you're making an effort to reduce/reuse/recycle, perhaps a salt solution or soaking it in a diluted vinegar solution will work to clean it. If not, I'd throw it out and get a new one :)

Are you sure it's mold and not algae? Algae needs sun for photosynthesis so if it's located in a sunny place, it'll form faster. I'd get rid of the bottle and empty and clean out the new one every day and you won't have a problem.

@pinky - it's black not green, I've never seen black algae so I'm pretty sure it's mold... Plus it wasn't in sunlight at my friends house or my own.

Looks like I am going to go shopping for a new water bottle. Thanks for the input!

My vote is Toss It Out.

New bottle 6 US dollars or less. Sick GP priceless.

I wash my bottles and brush out the insides of the nozzle with hot water every day and a Vinegar-Water solution every cage cleaning day, so every Friday.

I haven't had a problem with any bacteria.

@spy9doc - where do you get glass water bottles? and, while i'm at it (apologies for a momentary highjack of this thread) - the round metal things that hook on the grids and hold the bottles - THEY DRIVE ME NUTS!! what else can you use to hold the bottle in place?

https://www.guineapigcages.com/members/19714/what else can you use to hold the bottle in place?
When I bought my Edstrom water bottles, they came with little springs that have clips on the end - I love how well they work with any size/shape water bottle.

I've already purchased (online) a new water bottle to replace her old one which is now in my trash can! I'm going to see how I like the replacement bottle I ordered for her and possibly buy more for myself :)

For water bottle holders, I just use a rubber band and paper clips. xD You just take two paper clips, and unfold them to make a straight line, then curl one end of each paper clip around the rubber band, then make the ends in a hook shape, so they can attach to the bars. It's worked really well for me, and is made with just things you can find around the house.

Super pet also makes a good glass water bottle. Thats what I use

@Zuidy , I clean my bottles with dawn dish soap and wash them out thoroughly weekly but this water bottle isn't mine, I'm not sure how frequently she washes out her water bottle but apparently it wasn't enough...

For water bottle holders, I just use a rubber band and paper clips. xD

OMG this is BRILLIANT!! You just solved all my problems with water bottle holders!! I didn't even need to bend the paper clip - the rubber band will stretch enough for the water bottle to come out :)

This tip needs to go in the tips and tricks thread so everyone can do this! Awesome idea!!

Haha thanks so much @schavarry! xD I came up with it, because the critter canteens come with a holder inside, but it doesn't seem to work for C&C cages, but I didn't want to go out and buy a holder, so I just came up with that.

@PigPandemonium - again, brilliant! My daughter always wants to help fill up the water but has such a hard time putting the stupid metal holders back on - some times she can't even get them off but this is a cheap version of the metal springy ones I have so now I can use these for ALL the water bottles and she can stop complaining when she's helping!! Plus it'll be great for travel so I don't have to worry about loosing my nice ones :) And if it breaks, I have PLEANTY of rubber bands to replace it :)

I'll actually make a tutorial on how to do it with pictures now, and put it in the hot tips sections, maybe it will help some other people also. :D

Super pet also makes a good glass water bottle. Thats what I use

I have 3 Super Pet bottles that work great so bought 2 more.

There was a problem with the new ones and I couldn't get the water to come out. The metal feeder tube was faulty and it felt like it only had one ball instead of two. They tube looked different inside. I took them back, but all of the bottles on the shelf were the same as the faulty ones. I bought Living World glass bottles instead and they are working fine. I told the store about them and I hope they pull them from the shelf.

I have 3 Super Pet bottles that work great so bought 2 more.

There was a problem with the new ones and I couldn't get the water to come out. The metal feeder tube was faulty and it felt like it only had one ball instead of two. They tube looked different inside. I took them back, but all of the bottles on the shelf were the same as the faulty ones. I bought Living World glass bottles instead and they are working fine. I told the store about them and I hope they pull them from the shelf.

Sounds like they got a bad batch. They are the same in my store. My petsmart doesnt carry the living world bottles so I havent been able to try them

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.