Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Modifying pet store cage. Will it be large enough? Opinions please.

tarice

Cavy Slave
I currently have a large super pet cage. It is 39"x17". Now, I know this is really small, but my mom doesn't understand that guine pigs need a lot of space to live in. I tried convincing her into letting me get my guinea pig a larger cage that I would buy, but due to lack of space in my house, she said no. Im trying to give him more space by adding an upper level. Since I am adding on to a cage that has horizontal bars I was wondering if using grids as the floor for the upper level will be safe. I am going to secure them with special connectors and zip ties but their will be no support under second level, will it be safe? Also how large should the ramp be? One last question, I am adding the ramp so it will be going into a hole in the coroplast/grid (it will have borders to prevent sharp edges from grids) and there will be space for him to walk when he gets up. Has anyone done this before? If so was it safe/successful. I know this is long but thank you.

tarice

Cavy Slave
jackiescage3.jpg

Keep in mind that the cage is only 39x17" and I'm adding the upper level to try and give my baby more room. I left it slighly open though so I will be able to see and get to him on the lower level.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Technically it's still not big enough no matter how many levels you ad to it. Upper levels don't allow a GP to really stretch out and run and explore and some simply don't like upper levels. There is simply no substitution for a large C&C cage.

Perhaps, you can do more research and approach your mom again with more facts and the fact that a cage that size is really just a glorified litterbox. Be polite and respectful. Offer to do more chores to earn the money to build a bigger cage. Parents are more willing to listen if their child is showing real interest and initiative.

tarice

Cavy Slave
I have told them I would pay for a large cage 100% because he is basically my guinea pig (he started off as my moms but I've pretty much claimed him as mine). Im wondering if I can have him that cage in the day and put a large cage in my room for afternoons and nights. Problem is that it would take up half of my room. Any sugestions on what to do?

tarice

Cavy Slave
If I keep him in the smaller modified cage during the day and put him in the c&c (2x3 grids) in the afernoon/night/ and early morning (in my room) would this be enough? Because I know I wouldn't be able to put the larger cage where his old cage was and my mom would complain of having too little space, but she may not mind if he is in my room.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
If worse comes to worse, it would work for you to have him in the 2x3 some of the day. Honestly, it's a whole lot more work and cleaning to do two cages. Plus, you have to modify the smaller cage, which probably won't be too simple.

If I were you, I would go back to my mom, have a serious, mature conversation with her about the important of a large cage. Maybe you two can work out moving the cage to the family room or another area of the home. If you're building it and paying for it yourself, what is her objection? Maybe you can post her reasons here and we can try to help you out with some answers.

A spacious cage is really essential to the health of your guinea pig. It would be much easier to clean the cage because C&C cages are so open. The mess is spread out over a larger area, so it doesn't smell as soon as it does in a small pet store cage. Your guinea pig will be truly happier and healthier in a large cage. It's really important.

tarice

Cavy Slave
Maybe if the cage were a two story 2x3 cage. I measured and it it a few inches larger on all sides, this makes it too large for the table his cage is already on. So if I did a two story it may be high enough. I want it to be at the same height his cage is right now becausue we have two dogs, and he doesn't mind them, so he can use the bottom level, but will always have the security of the upper level. How does this sound?

My mom may go for it becayse it is only slightly larger. I know she will bring up the cost of fluff because the cage will be larger. I have suggested fleece but she doesnt think it will be smart and that it would be gross. I told her it is washable.
Howw difficult is it to clean a two level cage?

tarice

Cavy Slave
I am so happy to say that Jack has a bigger cage now. I used my dogs wire cage (the spacing is not larger than 1.5 inches), it is about 48"x30". My mom said it was fine to use because it was in the living room for the longest time. He is so happy it. He now has fleece bedding, and a "fleece forest" (found in the hot tips section of the forum)