Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Play Mocha had her babies

Cassidy Yeary

Cavy Slave
:)So last night mocha gave birth to 4 little babys, 3 black 1white and brown
there healthy running around playing i had no idea when i found them i was shocked.
I would like some tips to make sure they get a good home should i put them on craigslist?
theres no adoption center on oklahoma that i can find 292299 394587143934052 1325231972 n :heart:

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
Congrats! I hope Mocha is doing well. Please post if you have questions about proper care for her and babies, and mark your calendar so that you know at three weeks to separate any boys.

I personally am not a fan of listing pets on Craigslist. List them here in the Guinea Pig Zone, incase other forum readers are looking. And continue to look for an organization in your area... You can search for organizations on Petfinder.

So glad that her babies arrived without problem :)

Cassidy Yeary

Cavy Slave
yes i have a few questions can they eat timothy hay or do they have to eat alfalfa ?
and do they drink water and milk becase i saw one drinking it
should i seperate my other female from the mom and babys

Roo99

Cavy Slave
yes i have a few questions can they eat timothy hay or do they have to eat alfalfa ?
and do they drink water and milk becase i saw one drinking it
should i seperate my other female from the mom and babys

Baby pigs are literally like tiny adults. They eat all of the same food! They will eat the same pellets and veggies as adults. As long as they also have the same long strand, grass-type hay as their mummy, they shall be fine! Make sure that your cage is baby-proofed. Any other questions that you have can be answered with a quick search in the "Pregnancy and Babies" forum.

I wouldn't recommend Craigslist, as you don't know what kind of people want to respond to your ad. This is, of course, simply my personal opinion, and you are free to do whatever you wish. As @cavy_jdas said, making a listing on this site is a good idea! That way, you know that any interested adopters are cavy lovers like you.

Good luck with your little ones! Be sure to sex and separate them accordingly before they are three weeks old!

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
If all are getting along, you can leave the other female in the same cage. If you suspect that new mom is stressed by a cagemate (agressive toward the other if she comes near the babies) then separate.

If all are together, I would keep everything timothy-based. Mom and babies are often given alfalfa because they use more calcium, but they can get enough calcium from a healthy diet without needing alfalfa. You could give them a bit of extra spinach here and there or some parsley, and that will be fine, just be careful that the other female is not getting lots of thes extra-calcium veggies. I find the parsley is a nice thing to give when you are holding them, so you know who has eaten it.

The babies will nurse from their mom until they are separated, and she will often decrease how much she let's them nurse as they get older. I find that female babies that are kept with their mom will nurse for a few weeks longer. Yes, they will also be drinking water. They watch everything that mom does, and will try it out. The more adventurous will try right away, and the more cautious ones may wait and watch a bit before trying. Soon you will see that anything mom is eating, babies are right there trying to take it out of mom's mouth to try it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.