Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Mixing males and females.

MariaSonic

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,
I'm new here but a long term piggie owner.
I've got a neutered male piggy who lost his friend a couple of months ago. So I've now got him a new rescued girlfriend. What's the best way to introduce them? Are they pretty much certain to get on if I introduce them properly? They've been in their cages next to each other for about a month cos I didn't want to mix them before I went away for christmas.
Thanks!

Yes you would introduce them the same way in a neutral area, maybe food down to distract them, watch out for any signs of dominance or fighting, towels down to stop if blood is drawn,make sure the cage they are going into together is cleaned thoroughly so there is no scent of the other piggy and see how it goes. If they settle down and there is no fighting you can put them in their cage together. Make sure you have two of everything possibly at other ends of the cage so one of the pigs can't stop the other piggy from eating/drinking. Watch behaviour closely and make sure there is no constant bullying or there is no blood drawn. Good luck hopefully your piggies will settle down and become friends.

Edit. Sorry, read too fast.

Read Guinea Pigs Social Life -- the introductions section is about halfway down.

The key points are introductions in a neutral area, and a cage large enough for the pigs that has been thoroughly cleaned so it doesn't smell like either pig.

Thanks! How many meets would you suggest before putting them in the cage together?

You only have to put them together the once let them meet go through the introduction process and if there is no blood drawn they can stay together letting them meet and separating them again will only cause stress for your piggies, so if they get along they can go in a cage together. But watch them closely for any signs of constant bullying or fighting.

So if i was to mix them in the morning and they seem to get on ok then would be safe to leve them unattended together overnight?

Yes, if they get along at the first meeting, they can stay together overnight.

Yes. Put them together for introductions as described in the link Bpatters provided in response 4. There is no specific time limit, but if they interact well without constant pestering or intense fighting then you can put them together in a completely cleaned cage with completely cleaned (or new) hideys, etc. and leave them together.

As others have said, if there is no blood and so long as everyone can eat/drink at their own leisure, they should be fine.

As an update, my piggies are now sharing a cage, took about an hour of meeting for them to settle down. They're not exactly friends at the moment but are tolerating each other so I'm going to carry on! Thanks everyone!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.