Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Mixing ages for hay

beachgurl_1988

Cavy Slave
I have the oppurtunity to get a young pig, she is about a month old. HOPEFULLY her and Rose will be rooming in the same cage. She is coming from a trusted person, so I don't think I will be QT her or anything. Rose has been around their other pigs, so don't think anything will be an issue

But, what about hay? I know young pigs (up to 4 months) need alfalfa, and I read here about mixing half and half, but how should I do this with Rose?

She did have alfalfa hay at one time, when she was at the daycare, but she didn't really eat it.

Just worried about any potential problems?

you can just give the new baby some parsley a few times a week...its high in calcium and you wouldn't need the alfalfa hay

Pigs don't need alfalfa hay. It's not a grass hay, it's a legume. Young pigs and nursing moms can have alfalfa pellets, but pigs of all ages need a long-strand grass hay such as timothy, orchard grass or bluegrass.

Ok. Should I worry about offering alfalfa pellets to the younger pig?

I am currently feeding (actually on the last bit of transitioning Rose) to Oxbow Cavy Cuisine Pellets.

Parley will work! Rose LOVES parsley!

How old is Rose?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.