Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Mites & Treatment

Kyle&Mo

Cavy Slave
I believe that one of my piggies has mites; he shows all of the symptoms. My girlfriend's mom (who was until recently a vet tech or something) told me to go to the vet but the costs would be over $200 for the shots (at $30 each) and visit costs and I simply cannot afford that. I was looking at this awesome website guineapigcages.com ;) and saw that you can get ivermectin or Revolution for relatively cheap. My questions are
1. Are shots really $30 each??
2. Would it be safe for my piggies to use ivermectin?

A speedy response is much appreciated, I'm sure Mo is in a lot of pain right now and I feel bad for him :(

Thank you.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
They don't need injections for treatment of mites. Ivermectin can be applied orally or topically which is less invasive and saves the pig from being in pain. The cost of the medication will vary from vet office to vet office.

You can get Ivermectin, follow the instructions on guinealynx and dose them yourself. Other options for mite treatment are Advantage and Revolution.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.