Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Mites/Lice

nblackwell33

Cavy Slave
I'm a first-time guinea pig owner. I have two guinea pigs. I took them to a vet who specializes in exotics for a routine checkup, and he found that one of them had mites and lice.

He is, of course, treating both of them because they live together. He gave them a shot of ivermectin, and I'm bringing them back in two weeks for another shot and two weeks after that for a third shot.

Their cases are not severe. I wouldn't have know anything was wrong if I hadn't taken them for a checkup. I had seen them scratch on occasion, but not having had guinea pigs before, I thought some scratching was normal.

Anyway, my question is, is this the right treatment for the lice? I read on https://www.guinealynx.info/ that ivermectin is the correct treatment for mites, but I'm worried about the lice. I've been checking her over daily since her first shot, and I can't find any lice or nits, but in the vet's office he and I both saw one louse.

On https://www.guinealynx.info/, it says ivermectin "may" cure lice.

Should I ask the vet for clarification?

You can certainly ask. If he minds explaining, find yourself to another vet.

The ivermectin will likely take care of it. Some vets may have preferred another treatment, but this treatment isn't unreasonable.

I will ask him. He seemed like a really good vet. He was very thorough and gentle and genuinely seemed to like taking care of the girls. He gave me a lot of handouts and took a lot of time to talk to me about their diets. He showed me how to clip their nails, and what to look for in the future so I'd know if they were getting sick and needed to be seen. I'm probably way over-thinking it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.