Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Missing hair

PiggyPoP

Cavy Slave
I have two sow pig's. I get them out and hold them twice a day and always inspect them top to bottom. Yesterday everything on them looked great. Today the smaller pig has a missing spot of fur on her belly. It's about the size of a nickle and looks like someone just ripped a chunk right out. What could have caused this?The skin is pink and not scaly or anything. The bigger pig (weighs more) isn't missing any fur. I also noticed the bigger sow isn't as calm as she once was when being held. She is always trying to squirm away. She also pulls on the towel she sits on with her teeth while in my lap. So I put her back in her home as not to stress her out. The smaller sow with the missing patch of fur is calm and likes being held. She will let me hand feed her hay. She also squeaks for me when she hears the food bag open. I have had them a little over a month and they are suppose to be sisters. Any advice on what could be going on with them?

It's hard to say, especially since it appeared so suddenly. Can you post a photo?

Pulling on the towel is a sign of nervousness. She may just be a more timid type than your smaller one.

I took this while she was sitting in my lap. It was the best I could take. Either way I'm taking Ruby to the Vet but I would like to know what it could be while I wait. Her appointment isn't till Tuesday.

Attachments

Ruby's hair loss.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.