Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Misjudgement Cost the Life of Dear BJ Last Night, Don't Make This Mistake

karwask

Cavy Slave
i All,

I'd rather not talk about the accident last night that led to the death of BJ but I'm hoping that others learn from my experience and don't make the same mistake. As much as I'm a 59 year old woman who prides herself on her thoughtfulness and prompt action to insure the health of my pigs, this would seem to be a mistake in the opposite direction.

I got the girls about a year ago. (See BJ in the attached pictures). I wasn't ready to make my C & C cage and was able to get them as I came up with what I thought was a brilliant and inexpensive temporary cage, a large size kiddie wading pool. It's about 60" in diameter, the large size, and the walls are about 11.5" high. I kept it on the floor for many months and saw that they couldn't get out of it, it was too high for them. After awhile, it was breaking my back and I put it on some folding tables. It's been fine for a long time. I'm about to make my cage, now larger than I originally intended as I want to get a third pig and I got an idea for how an L shape would work for more room.

Last night we had floor time and I put BJ back in the cleaned pool first before I had a chance to put any of the hideys in there. I was walking towards the pool with one of the pigloos and I dropped it, making a really loud sound. You know that feeling of icy terror that one would get when I got to the pool and BJ was not in it. Anyway, yes, she had jumped the wall of the pool and landed on the floor near Charlotte. At first she seemed fine running into a hidey with Charlotte but after that I picked her up and something was wrong, she was probably partially paralyzed. I held her and watched her, I knew there was nothing to be done in terms of emergency vet and, after awhile, she died.

I'm telling you this just to say that the grids that we use in C & C cages are not a lot higher and now I know that a frightened pig with nowhere to hide can really jump. So, I didn't know this but now I do, don't ever put a pig in an open enclosure unless he/she has a place to hide.

Attachments

Hospice Retreat 002.jpg bj and charlotte 001.jpg 9597.jpg
I'm so sorry to hear this :( I hope everyone can take from this experience and hopefully make their cages safe if they have a bit of height to them.

R.I.P BJ. You gave her the best life she could of had im sure :)

Ohh gosh, I'm so so sorry for your loss of BJ.

I'm sorry for your loss! Thank you for posting this so others can learn and hopefully not make the same mistake!!

OMG, my heart goes out to you. I understand why you felt safe, as my piggies have a similar pool as their playpen and have never even come close to jumping out (thankfully, it's always on the floor). It was one of those freak accidents, and I know how much it hurts, but it's very apparent that you love your piggies and gave BJ a great life while she was with you.

Hi All,

Just something in the way of update; I had occasion to take Charlotte, the remaining pig, over to the exotics vet for some things to be checked out. I talked about how BJ died with her. She used to to have her own pigs as she used to show them. She said the standard that she used was to have enclosures that were 12" high and the pool sides were 11.5" high. She couldn't believe that BJ was able to jump over that height and her take was that this is a freak accident. She didn't so much associate not having any place to hide in the pool with the accident; I still do.

In any case, either way, it's best to be safe in all respects so I have the pool on the floor now and am building a 5 X 2 L-shaped C&C enclosure, hoping to get two more pigs for a total of 3 when that is done.

I, for one, will still never put them back into an enclosure where there is no place for them to hide.

thanks,

Thanks for the update! Good luck finding new piggies to add to your herd!!

Hi All,

Just something in the way of update; I had occasion to take Charlotte, the remaining pig, over to the exotics vet for some things to be checked out. I talked about how BJ died with her. She used to to have her own pigs as she used to show them. She said the standard that she used was to have enclosures that were 12" high and the pool sides were 11.5" high. She couldn't believe that BJ was able to jump over that height and her take was that this is a freak accident. She didn't so much associate not having any place to hide in the pool with the accident; I still do.

In any case, either way, it's best to be safe in all respects so I have the pool on the floor now and am building a 5 X 2 L-shaped C&C enclosure, hoping to get two more pigs for a total of 3 when that is done.

I, for one, will still never put them back into an enclosure where there is no place for them to hide.

thanks,

If there are pigloos or hidey houses, they can can get over sides that are higher than 12". I have a corner litter box I keep hay in that sits about an 1" off the coroplast floor. One of mine would climb in and stretch out and get her feet over the 14" grid top. I knew that she could probably pull herself up and over so I added a grid on top, in the corner where the hay bin is.

Thanks Pinky,

I don't keep anything in the corners and, as much as it's possible to climb up on a pigloo, they are slippery and my pigs have never demonstrated an ability to do that. With that said, yes, best safe and not sorry, it did occur to me that just putting up a grid on each corner might be an idea whose time has come.

cool,

Thanks Pinky,

I don't keep anything in the corners and, as much as it's possible to climb up on a pigloo, they are slippery and my pigs have never demonstrated an ability to do that. With that said, yes, best safe and not sorry, it did occur to me that just putting up a grid on each corner might be an idea whose time has come.

cool,

I'm really sorry about BJ..... It was a really thoughtful and selfless thing you did by writing this thread to warn others. I have no doubt it was a really hard thing to do but I'm sure that you've saved the lives of other guinea pigs by alerting others to what could happen. One of my guinea pigs died about a week ago so I know how hard it is to lose one, no matter what the circumstances are. RIP, BJ.....

How horrible. I'm so sorry and I hope others learn from this. Some pigs are jumpers but most aren't.

I remember my girls' breeder telling me a frightened piggy can jump 3 feet. I sort of forgot about that, so thank you for sharing your very sad story with us. I am also 59 years, almost 60 and I seem to learn something new everyday. I am so sorry for your loss.

Thanks so much everyone for your support.

Yes, I hope it contributes to the vast well of information that we have here. We help each other this way. I've learned so much from the mistakes and insights of others and I'm grateful for it. I'm also grateful for the persistence and hard work of the moderators, without whom this forum would not be possible or excellent.

Once I got over the shock of knowing that I wouldn't be enjoying the good company and endless antics of BJ anymore, it already got easier. I took her to the pet cremation place and she will be coming back to us by end of week in a beautiful, decorative, black-ground floral, very small tin. She will have a place on my altar along with my beloved dog; Benny. I already have a little picture of her there to make way.

In the meantime, I've finally started the big enclosure and am getting help from a friend to do the cutting and measuring as I am a measure once, cut twice and I needed a measure twice, cut once sort of person. I'm sure many of us do as well.

thanks

I am so incredibly sorry for your loss! I would have never have guessed they could jump that high! Thank you for your bravery in sharing your story and to warn us. May BJ be at peace and rest and know you did everything you could to give her a happy life.

Oh, honey. I am so sorry for your loss. Please be aware that this was truly an accident! It's not like you dropped the pigloo on purpose. It's not like you intended for her to fall from such a height. Even your vet didn't think about this being an issue. There are a LOT of people that build their C&C cages up on a platform, myself included, and quite a few that use the kiddie pools for playtime at the very least. There is no possible way you could have foreseen this particular series of events happening the way that they did. I am glad that you have posted this information here from all of us to learn from, and I'm glad that you're taking precautions to prevent anything like this from happening again. But this was truly an accident. Given the circumstances, I'm not sure that the extra 2 1/2 inches provided by the grids would have made a difference. I wish you all the luck in the world with finding a new pig and thank you for sharing your story with us.

Sorry to hear about BJ.

These piggies are sneaky and tricky when you least expect it. Trudy has learned to heave herself up to the side of the coroplast and literally climb the other oh.. 6 inches to get out of the cage. I found her on the floor three times before I finally had to ziptie a grid on top of the corner.

It is definitely a freak accident. Mine scare pretty easily as well, a load noise sends them into a running panic!

I'm so sorry about BJ. That's such a tragic story. R.I.P little pig.

Once I was giving one of my piggies a bath in the laundry sink and she literally jumped straight out from a stand still and up onto my chest (around 60cm/23 inches high!!). Luckily I caught her but she could have easily dropped onto the floor and seriously injured herself. People really underestimate how easy it is for these little creatures to jump.

I am so very sorry for your loss. I have a pigloo in my cage and my guinea pig, daisy loves to sit on top of it, its really cute but it freaks me out that she might fall off or jump out. I have a top on my cage but i am not very good about putting it on. But now i will try very hard to keep the lid on atleast where the pigloo is after hearing this sad story. Again I am so sorry for your loss.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.