Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Joy Minor Breakthroughs

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Well, for anyone who didn't know, I have been VERY stressed and worried lately.

I just didn't know how my pigs felt towards me and yada yada........

Well, anyway, last night, I attempted to hold my pig that was really timid of me. Here's how it went down:

I put her travel carrier in the cage without anything else she could hide in in the cage. She went in, I zipped it up, I walked into my bedroom. I set her on my bed, feeding her treats through a little opening. She seemed calm. I opened the door a little bit. She is curious, thus she slowly moves toward the door. Then, she runs back in. I close the door. We try again. This time, she comes all the way out. I quick grab her to prevent her from running away. I gave her some treats, had her wrapped in a blanket in my arm...... She was burrowing and burrowing. She bit me 1 time pretty hard, but not enough to make me bleed. We realized she was getting really fidgety after 30 seconds, so I put her back in the carrier and back out to her room and then into her cage.

By now, I am emotionally exhausted, physically exhausted, and I just don't feel good. I feel like I have hurt my pig...... I feel like she is more scared than she ever was...... I cried that night. I cried so hard. I wasn't mad at the pigs, I was mad at me. I was mad that I might have caused my Guinea Pig so much stress. I quick did a spot clean of the cage, and left the room for the night.

So, that is what happened last night.

You are probably wondering why this thread is about Joy, right?

I woke up this morning, feeling bad about the happening of the night before. I begin to brainstorm ideas on how I am ever going to regain her trust....... Turns out I never lost it. She doesn't nip at me any more when I have my hand by her, she is more curious about me than ever, and she just is absolutely fine.

Well, I have had a renewal of faith. My plan from here on out is:

DO NOT EXPECT AS MUCH FROM THE GUINEA PIGS AS OTHER ANIMALS

BE PATIENT

BE LOVING

AS LONG AS THE PIGS ARE TAKEN CARE OF, IT'S ALL THAT MATTERS

TAKE CARE OF THE GUINEA PIGS, SIMPLY THAT

I have realized that there are OTHER ways to bond with my Guinea Pigs than handling them. If I give them a couple of sticks of Cilantro, a few leaves of lettuce, pet them gingerly (when allowed) our bond can grow stronger. When I attempt to handle the pigs, they dislike it very much so. All pigs don't exactly look forward to being handled, as I have learned.

What I want to ask everyone, is that we all just get along. Everyone, love your Guinea Pigs. Take care of them. Don't be afraid, timid, shy of them. Don't worry if you aren't able to handle them, even if people make it seem easy. It isn't. Especially not at first. Just wait, it will ALL COME TOGETHER. Don't criticize each other. Everyone's idea of BEST is DIFFERENT. Accept everyone's idea of BEST, and revolve your own idea of BEST around it. I also want to ask everyone to share their breakthroughs with me and for everyone else to see. This can help us all get a better idea of what we can maybe look forward to one day. This will reassure EVERYONE that we are doing a good job, even if others make it seem like we aren't. We are trying. We are loving. We are. We just....... ARE.

I am going to approach my Guinea Pigs from here on out with nothing but POSITIVE thoughts and PATIENCE. PATIENCE is key for me. CARE is key for me. LOVE is key for me.

PIGGIES ARE KEY FOR ME AND FOR ALL!

:p

First of all, good for you! I've learned from taming wild kittens, and handling many different animals, that they respond to our attitiude. The biggest part is to relax. If you are stressed, the animal reads that as something is wrong, and they need to be alert and on guard. Take a deep breath, let it out, then approach your piggie. I'm finding that if I hold one of my girls, and hand feed the "good" parts of their dinner-like carrots and peppers, that after about 30 seconds, they relax and start to munch. I feel this helps make sure they are each getting what they need from their dinner as far as vitamins, and that it is building trust. Prey animals take so much longer to bond because they are so fearful. And I have to agree, the piggies are very spoiled with their food and huosing compared to so many others, that they are really just fine if we take our time getting to know them. This is my advice, and my success story. Good luck. Remmeber to relax....

How long have you had your pigs? I have 4 - 3 of them quite like to be handled. The one who doesn't has only been with me for a month and she is young. It does take time though - days for some pigs and months for others.

How long have you had your pigs? I have 4 - 3 of them quite like to be handled. The one who doesn't has only been with me for a month and she is young. It does take time though - days for some pigs and months for others.

I have only had them for less than 3 months.

I definitely like your philosophy; it's something I already apply to having a son with special needs. Everyone always has advice and people instinctively compare their predicament with mine. Sometimes it feels as though you're doing everything wrong, but as with kids, each piggie is different from the other. You're very right about everyone having their own personal "best" way of doing things and that we should emphasize creating options and not be so hard on others or ourselves. It's very important during the process not to beat yourself up.

Here's to your discovery and continued bond with your piggies!

I definitely like your philosophy; it's something I already apply to having a son with special needs. Everyone always has advice and people instinctively compare their predicament with mine. Sometimes it feels as though you're doing everything wrong, but as with kids, each piggie is different from the other. You're very right about everyone having their own personal "best" way of doing things and that we should emphasize creating options and not be so hard on others or ourselves. It's very important during the process not to beat yourself up.

Here's to your discovery and continued bond with your piggies!

Thanks!

My Piggies have already made a ton of progress...... for example: They used to stay inside ALL day. After about 2 1/2--3 weeks, they were coming out and interacting, and would accept food from my hand.

:)

Now, they are the most lovely Piggies ever. I just can't get as cuddly with them as I would like to.

Tg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.