Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Minkee, Cotton Batting, PUL?

nicolerc

Cavy Slave
Hi all!

I'm looking to sew some bedding for my pig. I have lots of fabric on hand that I would love to use and was curious if anyone had ever used some of these materials? I was thinking of using minkee for the top, cotton batting for the absorbent layer, and PUL as a waterproof barrier on the bottom. I should probably sew a small sample pad to do some tests, but I thought I'd ask before potentially wasting my time and materials!

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer
Does Minkee wick like fleece? I did some search and found some info on diaper forums. They are using it for outer layer, so I'm guessing it might not wick.
Are those material you have left over from sewing diapers? For cage liner, you'd want the top layer to be the something that wicks away the wetness and keep the pigs dry. You can use anti-pill fleece, blizzard fleece, microfleece (not microplush fleece), polar fleece.
Some people mentioned using Berber or Sherpa, but those are more expensive.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I made fleece pads with fleece, cotton batting and fleece sewn into pads to fit half a cage. I use two in the cage and can shake it out and clean it while the pigs are still in there. I can flip them over. I use towels underneath. I tried terry cloth and polyester batting for the middle layer but the cotton batting worked best.

nicolerc

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys. I thought the minkee would wick properly since it's poly like fleece, but after prepping it with several washes, the fuzziness seems to hang on to the liquid more instead of letting pass through. I went fabric shopping and got some fleece on sale at Joann's. I think the ladies at the cutting counter thought I was nuts when they asked what I was making! :crazy:

sarahspins

Cavy Slave
Yeah, minky (and the cuddle fleece as well) is just too thick for anything to get through - but it still works great for cozy's and huts :)

I have a TON of it leftover from diaper making, but I didn't bother with PUL on the bottom of any of my cage liners - I was concerned it would cause problems with everything drying after washing, and so far any wetness that goes down to the tray hasn't been a problem - I do wipe it down with vinegar when I change liners, which I think I would be doing even with a PUL lining.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.