Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Mini compressed bale

rottiemominde

Cavy Slave
Hello,

I've been shopping around to compare prices and found these mini compressed hay bales by Pine Hill Farms at my local Southern States store. Now I've got it home and have a problem...how do you break nice size pieces off to give the piggies? I tried a letter opener to pry some off, then a grilling fork....need to use my gardening gloves to pull some off, but this is taking longer than hoped. Any ideas? It's lovely, fresh hay but I would prefer at least a little more convenience :eek:

Thanks!

I use boxed hay but just wanted to mention that if your guinea pigs are over 6 months, they should be fed the timothy bales and not the alfalfa ones. Both are available in compressed bales. You might want to try using pruning shears or a small hand saw outdoors so you don't have a big mess in the house. I buy hay in bulk and divide it up in my garage so I don't have loose hay all over.

I just go to a pet store and buy it in the plastic bag, so it has a nice amount of hay, but is really easy to get out!:)

Thanks Pinky! Didn't think about the pruning shears. Will try that tomorrow morning!

I just go to a pet store and buy it in the plastic bag, so it has a nice amount of hay, but is really easy to get out!:)

Does the Pet Store only sell hay loose? Or do you ask to take it out of the bag and put it into a plastic bag or something? Haha.

Does the Pet Store only sell hay loose? Or do you ask to take it out of the bag and put it into a plastic bag or something? Haha.

I buy Oxbow hay from the petstore. It comes in a plastic bag... you just grab it off of the shelf and go:). It's quite expensive (about $15 for a 64 oz bag), but it's my only option and it's convenient.

I buy compressed hay bales too, 50 lbs bale for 25$! What I do is put it in a container in my garage (so no creepy crawlies can get into it), and break off large chunks for the pigs. I put the large chunks in a bag and keep that bag in the pig room so I can more easily break of pieces and give it to them. This is SO much better than buying from the petstore, the bale lasts for a LONG time and the hay is fragrant and fresh!

Piggypuppylove, that is awfully expensive hay. You're paying nearly $4 a pound for yours. I get a 45 pound bale from Kleenmama for about $60-$65, depending on shipping at the time, which amounts to roughly $1.50 per pound.

Thats what I ment, but I didn't say it very well. I just grabe the bag off the shelf, but it's not compressed!:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.