Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad Mineral oil suggestions (ASAP)

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave
Is there any mineral oil which is available in India and cure my guinea pig who is having constipation problem. My guinea pig is 2 years 10months old (weigh 900g) . Please reply fast :(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What are you going to do with the mineral oil? You can't give it to your guinea pig by mouth. It's fine to use when wiping the anal sac with a cotton swab.

None of us are in India, so we don't know what mineral oil is available there. But it's a very common item in most places.

Guinea pigs don't get constipated. They can have a higher intestinal blockage, which is really rare and you'll have an obviously very sick guinea pig. Or the poop can be soft enough to clump up in the anal sac. That's why it needs to be checked regularly and cleaned as necessary.

But if the poop is clumping, he either has a bacterial/parasitical/fungal problem in his digestive tract, or he's being fed too many vegetables or fruits that don't agree with him.

What exactly do you feed him? What kind of pellets, and how many? What kind of hay, and how much? What vegetables and fruit, and how much of each?

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave
My vet suggested me to give him half spoon of mineral oil because he was not pooping much and to prevent that he said use mineral oil it will help him to poop more easily because he is not able to pass his poop without pain

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Can you post a picture of what his poops look like?

Pain when pooping is almost always a sign of a bladder stone, not of problems when trying to poop. Has he be x-rayed to see if that's the case?

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave
Today I just gave him lot of grass hay, small cup of pellet and oxbow pellet is not available in my country so it's difficult to buy that so I have a packet which contains mixer of pellets, dry fruits and lot of things in it..I don't know the name but I'll tell u later when I'll find it on internet because I throw that packet away now. We don't have kale, romaine, and my guinea pig hate bell pepper (which is bad bc it contains lot of vit c and low Calcium which is good for him but I don't know why he hates it ;( He just sniff it a little and never looked at that pepper again ) but I do have cauliflower leaves(3 leaves a day), spinach( not much just 3 leaves a day not everyday just twice a week bc it causes bloating), broccoli(three times in a week), carrot (he don't eat that too), cucumber(each day five slice bc he hates to drink water through bottle so balance his water level so I give him cucumber on daily basis), a little cilantro (four times a week), zucchini (every day just 3 slice), lettuce (3 time a week), tomato (daily just small two slice), beans (2 times a week just a small amount bc of calcium level) .
Fruit( all fruits is given once in a week only bc it's not good for guinea pig health) are :- apple (small slice bc it creates soar in gp) , banana , guava (high in vit c), watermelon

Last edited:

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave
He is just not making sound but he breath fast while pooping and I'll send you pic if he do his next poop
Right now he is sleeping. So it's safe to give him cauliflower leave right now bc he desperately want some veggies and I haven't give him any veggies today ..just a lot of grass and cucumber Nd small amount of pellets

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I want a picture of the poop, not of him pooping.

We've discussed this before in some of your other posts, but I'll say it again. You need to severely limit the amount of cucumber he's getting. And if his poop is soft, you need to take him off vegetables entirely until it firms up again. He can have hay and pellets, and that's it, until his poop firms up. If it doesn't firm up, then he needs some medication to sort out what's going on in his digestive tract.

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave
Yeah I know but he never drinks water through his water bottle so if I stop giving him cucumber then he will get dehydrated

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave
Ya I know but I wanted to give u the fresh poop pic so it will create clear picture of his health but never mind I am sending u his poop which he did afternoon
c72e07d934a30fcc7d3ba119b6e18d3a.jpg

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave
After keeping him in his hay and pellets diet now it's poop is solid.. and why I need to clean his anal sac and how to do it?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
With the exception of those few soft ones, those poops look perfectly normal to me. They're well-formed, and there's no sign of impaction. The soft ones are likely due to the amount of cucumber you've been feeding him. I can't see what you're so worried about.

But, I repeat, if he's hunched up in pain when trying to poop, the cause is almost certainly a bladder stone, and he'll need an x-ray to diagnose that. You also need a better vet. Did you ever call the zoo to ask if they could recommend one?

You need to check his anal sac regularly, but only clean as necessary. Older males may have impactions that need to be removed. Males can flip the sac open to mark their territory, and depending on what kind of bedding they're on, can get all sorts of gunk up in the sac. The sheath arouond the penis also needs to be checked regularly to remove any smegma, hay stalks, hair, whatever that's hiding up in there. https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/85830-Awesome-video-on-how-to-clean-the-Anal-Sac See for how to do it.

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave
Okay . I'll see if this is the problem. Sorry but I am over proactive for my guinea pig that's y I keep asking for advice Nd to know more about everything which will be dangerous health for gp. No I didn't contact zoo . I searched it and I found many vet but not specialized with gp but they treat rabbits so there will be no problem . I guess so