Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Milky pee squirts

snowball002

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure what color a guinea pig's urine is supposed to be, but my guinea pigs have a milky colored urine that usually leave a dry white patch on the fleece. Should I be concerned about this and is it something I'm feeding them?
Also, my girl pig is usually the one who gets to the hay first when I put it out, and when my male comes up behind her to eat, she gets scared and SQUIRTS HIM WITH HER MILKY URINE! It is VERY gross and then he shakes his fur and the pee gets EVERYWHERE! Anything I can do to stop this? I try and let him get some hay too, but he is really scared of her but purrs ALL the time! Its not just when they want hay either! Anytime he comes up behind her, it just come out! Its really gross and then he starts smelling bad and I don't really want to wash him because I know their skin becomes irritated and dry. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

The milky urine is a sign of excess calcium in the urine. That have have several causes -- genetics, diet, minerals in the water, etc.

What do you feed her? What kind of vegetables and how many per day? How many and what kind of pellets, and what kind of hay?

The pee spray is typical of females who don't want to be bothered. There's really nothing you can do to stop it. You can wipe him with a warm washcloth, and an occasional bath won't hurt him.

However, I hope one or the other of your pigs is neutered and that you're not breeding them. There are many good reasons not to breed, and none in favor of it.

Yes, my female guinea pig is spayed. I feed them Oxbow hay and pellets. I feed them about handful of broccoli stems, kale, carrots, strawberry tops, lettuce, califlower, and parsley. I usually fill their food bowl 1/2 - 3/4 of the way full.

Kale is actually very rich in calcium, so is broccoli.

Try switching up with Swiss Chard, Spinach, Red leaf/Romaine lettuce and bell peppers.

The first thing I'd do is try a change in diet. Kale is way too high in vitamin A to be fed except just very occasionally, and parsley is too high in calcium for frequent use unless the pig is young, pregnant or nursing. Broccoli and cauliflower are both gas producing and not recommended for frequent use. Carrots should be limited to one small piece of carrot per day -- they're also very high in vitamin A.

The recommended diet staples for pigs are red or green leaf lettuce (don't use romaine, as it causes milky urine in some pigs) and bell pepper daily. Cilantro is also good for frequent use. Other good veggies include tomatoes, summer squash, endive, green beans, and herbs such as dill (they LOVE it) and basil.

See https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/22156/ for what you can feed and how often.

Additionally, some pigs have milky urine when fed Oxbow pellets. Not all do, and it doesn't have anything to do with the amount of calcium in the pellets. But if the change in diet doesn't clear it up, I'd try switching to another brand of pellets.

We can keep our fingers crossed that the diet and maybe pellet changes will take care of it. It's something that needs to be managed, because excess calcium in the urine is one of the main factors in the formation of bladder stones, which are painful for the pig and expensive for the owner.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.