Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Might be getting another guinea pig

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
Firstly I would like to say that I looked for guinea pigs in rescues but couldn't find any sows and I didn't want to get a male (don't want any of my sows getting pregnant) so I thought I would look for one needing to be rehomed. When I got to this one it was a breeder. But I thought I would see the guinea pigs first and they said they also take in unwanted guinea pigs and try to rehome them to somewhere they will be looked after. I saw the baby guinea pigs and the males had been separated from the females, this one sow was brown,black and white. I was told if I wanted her she wouldnt be ready until she was 6 weeks old so I would have to wait awhile.
So I could go and get her in a few weeks. I wanted to get your opinions as to if you think I should get her. I know they breed guinea pigs but they also look after and rehome guinea pigs to somewhere they will be looked after. That's a good thing, I also thought that she would get looked after properly if I took her I have learnt a lot from this website and try to give my piggies the best home. I don't want to support a breeder but.... I don't know that is why I am posting this to hear your opinions, thanks in advance.

Personally I would never buy from a breeder or a pet store; I'd rather wait weeks or months to get another pig. But I just have a couple of questions, which I mean to be neutral and not offensive: if you already have more than one pig, why do you need another one? Are the sows that you have now bonded? Basically I'm just trying to understand why you need a pig so badly that you'd go to a breeder rather than wait.

Also, have you thought about getting a neutered male elsewhere? That way you wouldn't have to worry about a pregnancy. I leave it to the more experienced folks to answer how to introduce a neutered male to intact sows, or how that would go.

If you really want to get a pig, could you give a general location of where you live? I've seen folks pull together on this forum to locate rescue, shelter, and Craig's List pigs for people who couldn't find one. Remember that some rescues (and even shelters) have extensive foster families who may be farther out and closer to you than the main rescue itself.

I understand that the breeder you are talking to says she takes in unwanted guinea pigs to rehome, and maybe she does. But if she stopped breeding altogether, she could have a full-time opportunity to do nothing but rescue, foster, and rehome unwanted pigs. Breeders, no matter how well they treat their individual pigs, by definition add to the population of piggies and therefore add to the number of unwanted pigs (by stopping someone from going to a rescue or shelter and selling them one instead).

I wanted to get another piggy as I had the space for another one, and I wanted to give a piggy out there a home. I realise I should have just waited and reading your response I think I am going to wait. I think I was just over excited to be getting another guinea pig and not realising I might have to wait awhile before the right one comes along. I have just checked a rescue now and found that they have boars, usually I would carry on looking but when I read in further depth I found that they were neutered. So thanks wildcavy I am going to find out where this male piggy is located now, to see if I can go and see him. I guess I was just confused when posting this, thanks for the help.:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.