Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated Mess!

faithandhope

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs make messes all over! Your guys' cages are always so clean and tidy. Do you litter train? If so, how? I did potty train Hope, but once she met Faith- psh it's so much easier not to visit the litter box ;).
Also, doesn't the timothy hay get all over the place? My fleece is constantly covered in hay, poop, fur (I have a serial shedder), and even pee. It always looks messy even when it really isn't that bad. Since I can only wash my fleece around every other week, it's getting really hard to keep a pretty cage!
Any cleaning tips would be helpful, thanks!

Most people clean the cage before taking pictures. With fleece, you'll have to sweep at least once a day to remove all the poos and hay. It will be much easier to clean if you have a litter tray under your hay rack. This way hay won't fall on your fleece as much.

Can you remove the fleece and put in a new set every week? If you can't wash it right away, you can leave it in a laundry bag until you can.

Edit to add: What are you using under your fleece?

I only have 1 mattress pad (it's fleece, pad, pad, fleece), but I am looking for another one so I can just sew it all together. I have more than one fleece though. :) I already have a tray under the hay. I am using CareFresh right now, but is it ok to use shredded paper as bedding?

Do you have anything else you can use in the mean time? Towels, puppy pads? I can't imagine them living on unclean fleece for 2 weeks. A very popular choice of absorbent material we use here is uhaul denim furniture pads.
(broken link removed)

Shredded paper will not be as absorbent as carefresh. If you have lots of shredded paper, you can try to make your own carefresh. See this thread for info:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/61739/

I made up little pads to put around the edges of the cage and in their hidey spots that tend to see the most "use". I made these out of 2 layers of flannel with fleece attached on top. I'm able to pick them up and dump any droppings straight into the trash and put them back if they don't need to be washed(I tend to change them out every other day). I admit I always try to wait until total cage cleaning day to take pictures:crazy: Here are some pictures that were right before cage cleaning:eek: (broken link removed)

I've never heard of anyone just changing fleece every other week -- no wonder it gets messy. Most people who get one week out of it consider themselves very lucky, and I do well to get four days. And that's with daily poop scooping and vacuuming.

You need more than one set of fleece. You don't have to do laundry more often than every other week, but you do need to change the cage more often than that.

I have to change out the fleece atleast every 3 days and thats with a kitchen. I also clean up poops and hay atleast once a day if not more. My guinea pigs are not overly messy either. I think you just need to change out your fleece more.

I made up little pads to put around the edges of the cage and in their hidey spots that tend to see the most "use".
As in puppy pee pads?

The uhaul pads are very reasonably priced.
Keep a eye out at fabric stores for clearance fleece. I have been fortunate to find "gender" appropriate fleece for my boys. But if it is on sale and the price is good and it is enough to cover my cage, my boys will be frolicking on flowers with no issue.

I also make "rugs" to put in their high traffic areas.
(broken link removed)
They are fleece sewn to a large bath towel or hand towel. Makes it really easy to clean daily cause all I have to do is gather it up and shake it outside. It also keeps the fleece under it a lot neater.

Try to get one more set of fleece and try the uhauls moving blankets. I have 2 sets per cage and have worked out a great rotation using the fleece with towels, uhaul blankets, and the rugs.

Good luck!

I use 2 layers of flannel with fleece on top and sew it all together to make pads that I can just pull out and wash. This way I don't have to do a total cage clean every other day.
As in puppy pee pads?

To help stop my cage getting messy I keep the hay in litter trays, and more hay in racks above the trays. To encourage them to go in the litter trays I make them shaded by using a grid above and fleece draped over, and I also always put them in the same place (when I moved one they pooped and peed loooads where it had been before so this must work to some extent!). Whenever they come out for floor time I use the litter trays and again always in the same places for floor time. I sweep everyday, but this is more for escaping hay, as there are only ever a few poops - a dustpan and brush can be quite effective at getting hay off fleece or you could use a vacuum :) I think by clearing away hay it discourages them from peeing on the fleece.

But I agree with the others - even with my well behaved piggies, 10 days is pushing it for fleece changing! So it would be ideal if you could change it at least every week :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.