Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other Meet Steve&Marsha! :)

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
I got two new pets... :D His name is Steve, he is a tree frog. We were weeding my garden and my friend uplifted Steve out of the ground. We think he was caught in a spiders web because when he came out, there was a spider on his side. He seems to be acting normal, I am going to keep him for observation. He is a real cutie, who loves hoping and bouncing around. I already joined a frog forum, to make sure he gets the best care possible. He is pretty small, about the size of a penny. I am hopefully going to be able to get him in a better habitat, but as of right now, he seems to really enjoy this one.

Marsha is a baby toad that my horse kicked. Her jaw was of line, there was a small glob of blood, and a squinted eye. She looked pretty dead, but she wasn't! She is now alive and kicking, and loving her new home. Her and Steve get along quite well, and they like eating crickets together. Martha likes flies and crickets while Steve likes crickets and moths. Martha is about the size of a nickle. Martha loves to hop around on the ground, and burrow.

Attachments

IMG_1238.jpg IMG_1251.jpg IMG_1269.jpg

rainbowwriter77

Cavy Slave
They are so cute! When I was younger, my sister was obsessed with frogs. She'd be so jealous!

NursePiggy

Cavy Slave
Aww! Sweet! If you kiss Steve will he become a Prince? Course, he already is! lol

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
It's never a good idea to take a wild animal from its natural habitat and make it your pet, no matter how much good you think you're doing. The animal always suffers and deserves to be in its natural environment, not kept for your happiness in a wholly unnatural setting.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I love toads. We have a split level with concrete steps to our lower level in the back of the house. Toads always seem to fall or jump in there so I'm constantly carrying them out and relocating them in the yard. It's almost like they know I'm going to help them because they don't even trying and get away.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
It's never a good idea to take a wild animal from its natural habitat and make it your pet, no matter how much good you think you're doing. The animal always suffers and deserves to be in its natural environment, not kept for your happiness in a wholly unnatural setting.

I am keeping Steve because he was bitten by this giant, unspecified, spider, and I want to make sure he is ok. My horse (who is 1,100 pounds) kicked, with his back feet, Marsha 15 feet away, on to compacted sand. I am amazed she is alive. I am keeping them for their own health and safety. If they do die, I would rather it be in a nice environment compared to:

Steve's Case- Being dissolved from the inside out,staring at a giant spider as your last sight.
Marsha's Case- Being toyed with, then eaten by a barn cat.

As of right now, I am going to say I did the best for them.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Animals are attacked and injured by other animals all the time. It isn't pleasant, but it is nature and it's inherent in the day-to-day life of every wild beastie and it is a part of life they know and possibly understand.

They cannot and do not understand being taken from their natural life and home and being put into an unnatural environment (no matter how nice) with sounds and sights and interactions completely foreign and that they likely recognize as predatory. They are likely in a constant state of alert ... They don't understand that you're trying to help them or that they are dying or recovering in a better (to us) environment than their natural habitat, they only know they have been taken from everything they know anf understand for no reason they can fathom.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
I am not keeping them forever. Steve is going to get released either tomorrow or Monday, depending if he passes the health check. It is going to take Marsha a little longer, but she will get returned sometime in the near future. I think I am going to try to adopt a frog that someone doesn't want, or something. These guys are seriously SO cool.

GeekPrincess

Cavy Slave
We had a little green frog like Steve hopping around my work last week. It took 3 days to finally catch him and get him back to the little pond from whence he came. We were calling him the store mascot. :) I'd rather a frog in the store than a darn chipmunk.
I hope they get home soon.

BamRamsey

Cavy Slave
Cute! We have 3 toads that hang around our house 2 in the front yard and one... that likes to jump into the backdoor... I don't know why but it's funny. Opened the door one time and he let himself in my house o-o

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I am not keeping them forever. Steve is going to get released either tomorrow or Monday, depending if he passes the health check. It is going to take Marsha a little longer, but she will get returned sometime in the near future. I think I am going to try to adopt a frog that someone doesn't want, or something. These guys are seriously SO cool.
Seems to be a shift in attitude, and it's really great - I hope they are well enough to be released soon and do think it's awesome that you're trying to get them well, especially if you aren't intending to keep them any longer than necessary now.

I see ads all the time for frogs needing to be rehomed on CL and at reptile rescues in my area - they do seem like an interesting pet to have, I hope you can find one (or two?) that you really enjoy!

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
@Paula, Steve passed his health test and was returned in the wild! I have one tree in my front yard that I put him in, he seems to enjoy it and I love the ability to go outside and check the tree, to see if I can see Steve! Marsha goes back next week, hopefully she passes and all is well.

Steve right when he entered his new home:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376281465.271098.jpg

A few hours later he shifted positions, crawled a few feet up, and slept until dusk/night:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376281474.516190.jpg

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Marsha was released today! I snagged an action shot:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376522606.500670.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376522625.849231.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376522638.483444.jpg

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
She seemed quite happy to be back home, and I want to thank all of you with all of your help! Hopefully you all will be helping me get a pair/trio of RETF!!! :)

janinehunt

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Good work! Love the release pics. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.