Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Meet Oreo and Gingersnap!

piggieslove

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone so happy to be here! I used to have guinea pigs many many years ago (they died from old RIP) and since two days ago I am back being a piggy owner with my piggies Oreo and Gingersnap. Oreo was named by me and Gingersnap was named by my partner :eek:

[GuineaPigCages.com] Meet Oreo and Gingersnap!

I am so happy so I would like to share their pics and story here.

I adoped these two girls 2 days ago. They are sisters- both are two years old. Their previous owner's son has allergies to them so he had to let them go. He told me these two didn't get alone and they need to live in two separate cages. They seem to get alone fine at my house, haven't seen them fighting yet. I did build a c&c cage for them, it's only a 2x 3 cage but still bigger than their original cages so that probably helped a bit. I am looking forward to expanding their cage sometime later on though. They both seem to settle in pretty well and they aren't scared of me. They both don't mind me toughing/petting them and are excited when I enter the room - more veggies for themlol

I remembered the piggies i had were really scared of me at least the first couple weeks when I got them and it took me really long to bond with them. I was surprised these two girls i have now are so friendly, knowing how shy guinea pigs can be.

I also have a 3 years old cat Turbo so my cage is cat proof and it's in my den room. The door is shut when we aren't there, I don't want to let Turbo in the room unless if one of us in there. They aren't scared of Turbo though. Turbo is curious but also a bit nervous about the piggies. I was a bit worried them being scared by the cat but they seem to be fine with each other.

In this picture Gingersnap was wondering if Turbo was going to feed her some veggies or not ;)

Anyways I am happy to be in this forum! I haven't had piggies for so long I look forward to learn more things from everybody here!

Last edited:
Thank you yes Turbo is a very gentle sweet cat but I don't want to risk it. Better safe than sorry ;)

I'll echo Kelsie's sentiment. Thank you so much for bringing these lovely little ladies into your home. I'm sure lack of space was a problem for the two living together. 2x3 isn't huge, but still better than any pet store cage.

I also had two cats, in a different home when I had Pooper and Sly. Their cage was open during the day and of course their pen was always open, but their cage was cat proof and was closed up at night when everyone was asleep. Neither cat bothered with the pigs much, Sissy actually liked to lie beside the pen and watch them, but Sly bit her tail once and that was it. She was scared of them.

Smokey was the one I was worried about. We lived in an apartment building, and one day there was a knock at the door. At little boy at the other end of the hall was looking for his gerbil, which had escaped the cage, and wondered if we'd seen it or could keep an eye out for it. We hadn't, but a couple mornings later he was left at the side of the bed for me. Smokey had brought me a present. I never did tell the poor little fella down the hall, some things are just better left unsaid.

I got my piggies 3 days ago... I haven't hear them wheek?

Hi I have just taken home two 2 years old guinea pigs sisters pair Oreo and Gingersnap on Saturday.

They seem to settle in pretty well these few days. Both are very social to human- they know whenever we come it's veggies or new hay and they both don't mind being petted. So far I've heard both of them with the purring or rumble sound which possibly indicates their dominance behavior.. Though at this point I am not really sure who is the dominant one. Gingersnap seems to be the braver one, she likes to explore everywhere and will come out of the cage herself to meet me during our floor playing time, and Oreo is the one who has been rumble strutting and trying to mate with Gingersnap a couple times these few days..

The previous owner put them in seperate cages he said these two don't like each other. I think they are fine here at my place, they haven't really fight yet. I did hear them teeth chattering twice in the past three days but it hasn't became a real fight so I figure it's fine at least for now.

One thing is none of them have wheeked yet. I used to have guinea pigs many years ago and all of them wheeked almost all the time when I was nearby. I played the wheek sound from internet for Oreo and Gingersnap but they still woudn't wheek. Does it usually take a while for piggies to wheek when they move to a new home? Or maybe these two just don't like to wheek? Their previous owner did mention they wheek loudly at night that's when he fed the pigs... Does that have something to do with the fact that they were in seperate cages before but not now?

Re: I got my piggies 3 days ago... I haven't hear them wheek?

I think they just need time to settle in. it sounds as though they are quite confident already, which is lovely, but remember you are new to them. They need to learn their new routine, get used to the new sounds and smells. Carry on being patient and loving with them and I am sure you will soon be rewarded with their singing!

THanks I guess I will just be patient! ;)

@piggieslove, please don't start new threads on your pigs. Keep all the posts about them on one thread.

I have one loud wheeker and one quiet one. I've only had the girls a few weeks now, they are both 1ish and bonded. One is shyer, she's quieter; the other one though has recently started wheeking so loud when she hears me come up the stairs in the morning around veggie time, or anytime I come in the room. Although they run from me, she seems to like scritches a lot, and the shyer one, some.

Anyway, the point is, it took them over the course 3 weeks or so to slowly start wheeking more.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.