Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Photos meet mercadies

drgraves2

Cavy Slave
Meet Mercadies
meet mercadies
Fluffys new cage mate she justg turned 3 weeks old today. Loud wheeker. The did fine on inital intros untill i got them in the cage. Fluffy loves to nip at the baby and keep nipping over and over, never brawing blood. How long should i let this go on? The dont chatter or rumblestrut just the nip attack for a few sec then chasing the bady and it settles down till the baby enters fluffys house. (the one she claimed). Also around food ( i have 2 of everything). When Fluffy is around the baby just hides. This is the first day will it get better? How long should i let them go?

What a cutie! I hope everything settles down and your girls become budddies! As long as Fluffy isn't drawing blood and the baby is get to eat and drink they should be fine soon. Good luck and weigh the baby daily to make sure she's not losing weight.

How did the baby do overnight? Did you put her in the top part or did she stay with Fluffy?

Does Fluffy's house have both an entrance and an exit? If not, take it out so she can't trap the baby in there. You can replace it with a cardboard box for now, and when things settle down you may be able to put it back.

Did you just put the baby in Fluffy's cage, or did you do proper introductions in a neutral area and then put them into a thoroughly cleaned cage that didn't smell like either one of them? (See Guinea Pigs Social Life -- the Introductions section is about halfway down.) If you just put the baby in Fluffy's cage, Fluffy no doubt thinks she's been invaded and is just defending her territory.

And how large is the cage they're in?

Also, keep a very close eye on both of them for illnesses. Apparently you didn't do a three-week quarantine, and if either of them had a mild mite infection, the stress of being put together may bring on a full-blown case of mites.

Does Fluffy's house have both an entrance and an exit? If not, take it out so she can't trap the baby in there. You can replace it with a cardboard box for now, and when things settle down you may be able to put it back.

Did you just put the baby in Fluffy's cage, or did you do proper introductions in a neutral area and then put them into a thoroughly cleaned cage that didn't smell like either one of them? (See Guinea Pigs Social Life -- the Introductions section is about halfway down.) If you just put the baby in Fluffy's cage, Fluffy no doubt thinks she's been invaded and is just defending her territory.

And how large is the cage they're in?

Also, keep a very close eye on both of them for illnesses. Apparently you didn't do a three-week quarantine, and if either of them had a mild mite infection, the stress of being put together may bring on a full-blown case of mites.

they do fine in a neutal area where i introduced them for a few hours. The meet at the vets office. the baby was checked over by the vet before she meet Fluffy. The first meeting they even snuggled no nothing just licking each other. So it looked like a good pairing. i Got them bth home and in neutral area the played and did fine. Then all fell apart in the cage.

Where to start?

First, a check-up by the vet wouldn't prevent the new one from infecting the other one with mites or a disease. Cavies hide sickness very well, and the new one could be incubating something that will make both of them sick. Quarantine is to prevent your old pig from getting sick and you from having double the vet bills for having to treat two pigs instead of one.

Did you completely clean the cage so it didn't smell like either one them? Failure to do so make make one think that its territory has been invaded. In this case, if the cage smelled like Fluffy and you put the new pig in, Fluffy may view the new pig as an enemy. You should always introduce pigs on neutral territory and put them into a large, totally cleaned and de-scented cage.

Third, how large is their cage? If it's not large enough for two pigs, you're likely to wind up with bites that require vet treatment, or chewed ears, or worse. You can't just stuff two pigs into a small cage and expect them to get along.

Fourth, do the hideys have two entrances and exits? If not, please take them out and replace them, at least temporarily, with some that do. You can use small boxes -- just cut the bottoms out and holes in the ends. Once they settle down, you can put the hideys back in.

the baby is so cute, I can't wait for my friend's piggie to have her babies where I can get a new baby well if there is a male in the bunch lol

She is very cute. I hope they quickly become the very best of friends.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.