Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Biting Meet Baby and some questions

beachgurl_1988

Cavy Slave
Baby has settled into her new home quiet nicely.

She is eating well, likes cilantro, carrots, apples, lettuces and we are uh..working on pepper.

I have been trying daily to pick her up and handle her... mess with her feet, ears, head, etc. just try to get her used to handling, because Rose never was. I figure it will be better because she is young now.

Only problem is, she is nipping. She bites, but just hurts for a sec. Hasnt drawn blood or anything, but I want to know if anyone has any ideas for curbing this behavior now?

Also, most times when I go to pick her up,she runs, I have to catch her. Is there some other ways I can do to pick her up. Meet Baby and some questions

Not the greatest picture I know! This was taken about two weeks ago, she is getting bigger now!!

Adorable pig! You are a great pig owner. :) I wouldn't "mess with her" though, that could be one of the reasons she's biting.

She is Adorable, I have seen your posts and you are a great owner. I have the same problem and HAD the same problem. I would say to wash your hands extra too take off any food smell and that may be the problem. Maybe catch her and try to hand feed her some veggies or favorite treat it will make her trust you a bit more and maybe try to bond with her a little more.

Two things you need to do. The biting suggests mites. If she weighs more than 350 grams, I'd treat her with ivermectin -- it won't hurt her, and it may help. See www.guinealynx.info/mites.html for information on dosages and administration. If she weighs less than 350 grams, you'll need to see a vet for a prescription medication. Just don't let the vet do a skin scraping for the mites -- it misses them as often as it catches them, and it hurts the pig. Just get the treatment.

Second, to pick her up, cut holes in the ends of a shoe box, shoo her in it, then put your hands over the holes and lift the whole box out of the cage. Wrap her in a small towel and put her in your lap and feed her yummy treats -- food is definitely the way to a piggy's heart!

bpatters, she is biting me, not herself, should I still worry about mites?

What a little sweetie! Huey used to nip me really hard but I started saying "Oww" in a painful semi-loud voice and pulled him away from where ever he was nipping me. He and I now communicate better by him gently holding skin between his teeth and me understanding that he needs to go back to his cage and use the bathroom in the corner because he doesn't want to pee on me. Unlike Roger who could care less where or when he pees:eek:!

bpatters, she is biting me, not herself, should I still worry about mites?

I believe what bpatters means, is that when piggies have mites, it can be very painful for them, to be handled and petting them "hurts" because of the mite infestation.

Also, the box with holes idea in lifting piggies out of the cage works really well ! Nipping/biting can mean many things.

It can often mean "fear", that they are feeling threatened or afraid still of you and their new surroundings. ( new home, new sounds, new cage, ect..) It can mean that you are misunderstanding her "cues" which is easy to do for it takes a lot of time and patience to understand your individual piggie's needs. Maybe she needs to go back to her cage to go pee, or just wants to go back. Maybe she has a mite infestation. I have two links to show you, the first is a great ( I love this article) article from Jack Pines Guinea Pig Rescue, called "Little Nippers" on biting. The second link is my story on my "bonding breakthrough" with my girls.

(broken link removed)

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...getting-along-your-guinea-pig.html#post563361

I do want to add that daily gentle handling is a GOOD thing, once they have had a few days to settle in to their new environment, handling them often daily is the only way to get them accustomed to you, and for them to learn to trust you, eventually they will...even though it doesn't seem that way now, they eventually settle in and your bond with them will strengthen. Just give it time. Start with 15 minute increments...they usually can hold their bladders for up to 15, sometimes 20 minutes. Depends on the piggie !

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.